English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Hathras case: CBI finally takes over probe from UP Police

Published

on

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will probe the gang-rape and murder of a 19-year-old woman by a group of four upper-caste men in Uttar Pradesh’s Hathras. The central agency is set to dispatch its probe teams and forensic experts to the crime scene immediately after the registration of an FIR, according to officials.

Amid nationwide outrage over the case, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had recommended a CBI inquiry into the case. UP police and government have been on the receiving hand of severe criticism by opposition over its handling of the case. The victim’s family had said that the police locked them up in their home and cremated the body in their absence. However, the police denied the charges and said cremation was done only after family’s approval in a bid to avoid further tension. It further said that the family was present at the time of last rites of the victim.

The 19-year-old Dalit woman was assaulted by four upper-caste men in her village on September 14. She was referred to Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital in an extremely critical condition where she succumbed to her injuries on September 29, two weeks after the incident . The four accused have been booked on charges of murder and gang-rape  under the SC/ST Act. The accused have said that they are not guilty and that the victim was beaten up by her mother and brother on September 14.

Read Also: Ram Vilas Paswan cremated in Patna, leaders pay tributes, PM Modi says he’s lost a friend

Following the incident, The Uttar Pradesh police had accused the family of lying and claimed that there was no rape as no sperms were found in her forensic report. The experts differed with police and said that the absence of sperms did not mean that there was no rape. The sample was collected after a delay of 11 days and the sperms would not be there in the sample by that time.

India News

AIIMS theft case cracked: Woman posed as doctor to steal jewellery, arrested in Ghaziabad

A 43-year-old woman from Ghaziabad has been arrested for posing as a doctor and stealing jewellery from AIIMS hostel rooms. CCTV and scooter tracking led to her arrest.

Published

on

AIIMS theft case

Delhi Police have arrested a 43-year-old woman from Ghaziabad who allegedly posed as a doctor to steal jewellery and cash from rooms in the AIIMS women doctors’ hostel. The arrest followed the investigation of a March 27 theft complaint lodged by a woman doctor at the premier hospital.

The complainant reported that several valuables were missing from her room, including two gold chains, a gold ring, a pair of earrings, a bracelet, ₹4,500 in cash and 522 Malaysian ringgits, approximately ₹10,000 in value. The police launched a probe and registered an FIR.

Caught on CCTV, tracked by scooter registration

During the investigation, police scanned footage from nearly 100 CCTV cameras around the AIIMS premises. A woman in a doctor’s white coat was spotted moving through hostel corridors, attempting to open multiple room doors while most residents were away at work. Surveillance footage also showed her arriving and leaving the hospital compound on a scooter.

By tracking the scooter’s registration number, police traced the accused to Brij Vihar in Ghaziabad, where she was taken into custody.

Lab technician turned thief

According to police, the woman is a science graduate with a diploma in medical lab technology and previously worked as a lab assistant at a private hospital. During questioning, she admitted to having a deep love for jewellery, which she could never afford. This obsession, she said, eventually led her to theft.

She told investigators that she observed women doctors at AIIMS often left their hostel rooms unlocked, making it easier for her to commit the thefts. To avoid suspicion, she wore a doctor’s coat while entering the premises, blending in seamlessly with hospital staff.

Continue Reading

India News

Suresh Gopi backs Waqf Bill amid land row in Kerala, calls it beneficial for Munambam residents

Union Minister Suresh Gopi supports the Waqf Bill citing benefits for Munambam residents, but lashes out at media over questions related to a recent priest attack in Jabalpur.

Published

on

Suresh Gopi

Union Minister Suresh Gopi strongly defended the Waqf (Amendment) Bill on Friday, asserting that the new legal changes would help people in Munambam, Kerala, who have been disadvantaged due to existing Waqf land claims. Speaking in Kochi, he criticised both the Congress and CPM, remarking, “Some people claimed the Waqf Bill would be thrown into the bin in the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC). Let’s see how it pans out.”

He insisted that the amended law would correct past injustices and benefit local residents who’ve been entangled in ownership disputes involving the Waqf Board.

Heated response on Jabalpur priest attack

Gopi, however, grew visibly agitated when questioned about the recent attack on Malayali priests in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. Reacting sharply, he said, “Go ahead and do a post-mortem of my tongue, but don’t dissect my mind.” He compared the incident to past controversies involving Christian leaders in Pala, Kerala, and questioned the media’s line of inquiry, stating, “Who are you? Whom are you questioning? Be very careful while speaking.”

His remarks came as reporters pressed for a response to the assault on Christian priests and community members in Jabalpur.

George Kurien demands justice for Munambam

Meanwhile, Minister of State for Minority Affairs George Kurien voiced strong support for the residents of Munambam during a Rajya Sabha discussion on the Bill. He demanded that the Waqf Board produce legal documents to justify its claim over land in Munambam and asserted that ownership must be restored to rightful holders.

Kurien emphasized that “any provision of law that contradicts the Indian Constitution must be amended,” and said that the rights of all religious minorities must be protected. He also accused opposition leaders of trying to mislead the Muslim community in Kerala, whom he described as “gentle and pious.”

Continue Reading

India News

PM Modi-Muhammad Yunus hold first talks after Bangladesh regime change

PM Narendra Modi held his first meeting with Bangladesh’s interim leader Muhammad Yunus since the Hasina government’s ouster. The meeting comes amid strained ties and controversial comments by Yunus.

Published

on

Modi Yunus meet

In a significant diplomatic development, Prime Minister Narendra Modi met with Muhammad Yunus, the Chief Advisor of Bangladesh’s interim government, for the first time since the regime change in Dhaka. The meeting took place on the sidelines of the BIMSTEC Summit in Bangkok, with External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and National Security Advisor Ajit Doval also in attendance.

This high-level engagement marks a critical step in recalibrating bilateral ties that have grown tense following the ouster of the Sheikh Hasina-led Awami League government in August last year. Relations between the two neighbours have cooled amid political upheaval in Bangladesh and increasing Dhaka-Beijing proximity.

Northeastern remarks spark backlash in India

Adding to the diplomatic friction were controversial remarks by M Yunus during a recent visit to China. In a viral video, Yunus described India’s Northeastern states as “landlocked” and positioned Bangladesh as their gateway to the ocean, even calling it a potential “extension for the Chinese economy.”

These comments triggered strong political reactions in India, especially from Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, who condemned the statements as “offensive and strongly condemnable.” He expressed concern over narratives targeting the strategic Chicken’s Neck corridor and called for bolstering transport infrastructure to ensure better connectivity of the Northeast with the rest of the country.

Sarma urged the central government to explore alternative road and rail routes that bypass the Chicken’s Neck corridor and cautioned against underestimating the strategic implications of such provocative statements.

India watches Dhaka-Beijing ties with caution

The meeting comes amid India’s rising unease over Bangladesh’s growing tilt toward China, particularly following the political transition in Dhaka. Despite tensions, Prime Minister Modi had written to M Yunus on March 26, extending greetings on Bangladesh’s Independence Day. In his letter, Modi underscored the importance of mutual sensitivity, shared history from the Liberation War, and a continued commitment to peace and prosperity.

India has also voiced concerns in recent months over attacks on minorities in Bangladesh, an issue on which Dhaka has maintained that it is a domestic matter.

With this first formal interaction between Modi and Yunus, both sides may be attempting to arrest the diplomatic drift, though challenges remain, especially in the context of security sensitivities and regional geopolitics.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com