English हिन्दी
Connect with us

LATEST SPORTS NEWS

Formula 1: McLaren to return to Mercedes engines from 2021 season

The McLaren Formula 1 team, who has used Renault engines since last year, will switch to Mercedes engines from the 2021 Formula 1 World Championship season, the BBC reported on Friday, September 27, from the Russian Grand Prix in Sochi.

Published

on

Formula 1: McLaren to return to Mercedes engines from 2021 season

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]The McLaren Formula 1 team, who has used Renault engines since last year, will switch to Mercedes engines from the 2021 Formula 1 World Championship season, the BBC reported on Friday, September 27, from the Russian Grand Prix in Sochi.

The decision,reviving a partnership that previously ran from 1995 until the end of 2014, has been made as McLaren seek to return to competitiveness after a dip in fortunes in recent years.

“This agreement is an important step in our long-term plan to return to success in Formula 1,” said McLaren Racing boss Zak Brown.

Brown added, “Mercedes is the benchmark, both as a team and a power unit, so it is natural we would seek to secure a relationship with the company for the next phase of our journey.”

After the previous partnership completed, McLaren made an ill-fated switch to Honda which lasted for three years, then switched to Renault last year.

McLaren’s decision to return to Mercedes is based on two key factors – the Mercedes engine has been stronger than Renault’s since turbo-hybrid engines were introduced in 2014 and a customer supply with the German company is cheaper, BBC reported. 

“McLaren have been putting in place the building blocks of their revival over recent seasons, including impressive performances this season with Renault power,” said Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff.

“We hope that this new long-term agreement marks another milestone for McLaren as they aim to take the fight to the sport’s top teams, including our Mercedes works team.”

In reaction to the announcement Renault F1 boss, Cyril Abiteboul, said, “Since our partnership began, McLaren has gone from ninth to fourth position in the Constructors’ Championship.

“We can therefore consider this a very successful relationship. However, while looking beyond the terms of the current contract, which concludes at the end of 2020, it was apparent that Renault and McLaren have different ambitions for the future,” he added.

McLaren’s move to Mercedes in 2021 will leave Renault with only one team using its engines – its own factory team.

Whereas, Mercedes supplies its factory team as well as Racing Point and Williams – and now McLaren from 2021. Ferrari supplies Alfa Romeo and Haas in addition to its own works team.

Honda now supplies Red Bull and their junior team Toro Rosso.

The last time McLaren won a Grand Prix was in Brazil 2012 with Jenson Button driving the Mercedes powered MP4-27.

McLaren powered by Mercedes won 77 times during a successful F1 partnership that began in the mid-nineties and delivered three drivers’ titles, a couple with Mika Hakkinen in 1998-1999 and one with Lewis Hamilton in 2008.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Cricket news

Ian Healy lashes out at Australia after T20 World Cup 2026 group stage exit

Ian Healy has criticised Australia’s squad balance and selection decisions after their early exit from the T20 World Cup 2026.

Published

on

Australia’s campaign at the T20 World Cup 2026 ended at the group stage, marking a surprising early departure for the 2021 champions. With Zimbabwe progressing alongside Sri Lanka from Group B, Australia failed to secure a place in the Super 8 stage.

Losses to Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka left the Mitchell Marsh-led side under pressure. A washed-out match between Ireland and Zimbabwe ultimately sealed Australia’s elimination from the tournament.

Former Australia wicketkeeper Ian Healy did not hold back in his assessment of the team’s performance and selection strategy. Speaking on SEN Cricket, Healy said the team’s approach in the lead-up to the tournament had been flawed.

“We were duped,” Healy remarked, suggesting that the squad composition prioritised power over adaptability in conditions suited to Sri Lanka and India. He criticised what he described as a denial of possible shortcomings and an overconfidence in the chosen combination.

Healy also questioned the decision-making around team changes during the tournament. He pointed out that in a crucial match, two bowlers and a leading batter were dropped to accommodate an all-rounder, another bowler, and the captain’s return, a move he felt disrupted the balance of the side.

The former wicketkeeper expressed particular concern over the batting order and the role of certain players. He questioned the inclusion of Cooper Connolly, noting the youngster’s recent run of low scores, and argued that the team lacked specialist batters capable of building innings in challenging conditions.

According to Healy, the squad was filled with finishers but lacked players who could stabilise the innings at the top. He also mentioned Cameron Green’s position at number three, Tim David at four, and Josh Inglis’ shifting role in the batting order as examples of what he called an “unbalanced team”.

Healy concluded that the selection direction taken a year ago, which he believes prioritised power-hitting over traditional batsmanship and form, ultimately backfired in subcontinental conditions.

Australia’s early exit means the Super 8 stage of the T20 World Cup 2026 will proceed without one of the tournament’s traditional heavyweights.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

India’s 61-run win over Pakistan strengthens World Cup hopes says BCCI vice-president

BCCI Vice-President Rajiv Shukla says he is fully confident India will win the T20 World Cup 2026 following their dominant 61-run victory over Pakistan.

Published

on

ind vs pakistan

India’s commanding victory over Pakistan in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has boosted confidence within the cricket establishment, with Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Vice-President Rajiv Shukla expressing firm belief that the team will go on to lift the trophy.

Reacting after India’s comprehensive 61-run win in Colombo on Sunday, Shukla described the result as a major achievement and praised the team’s overall performance.

“Winning against Pakistan by such a huge margin is a huge achievement. The way our boys played, I am fully confident that we will win the World Cup as well,” Shukla told reporters. He highlighted the depth in the squad, saying different players have stepped up at different times during the tournament.

Kishan’s fifty and disciplined bowling seal big win

A decisive half-century from Ishan Kishan laid the foundation for India’s total of 175 for 7. Kishan’s 77-run knock anchored the innings, while Suryakumar Yadav contributed 32 runs to push the score to a competitive total.

In reply, Pakistan were bowled out for 114 in 18 overs. India’s bowling attack delivered a collective performance, with Axar Patel, Varun Chakravarthy, Hardik Pandya and Jasprit Bumrah picking up two wickets each.

Usman Khan top-scored for Pakistan with 44, while Shaheen Afridi remained unbeaten on 23. Saim Ayub had earlier impressed with the ball, claiming 3 wickets for 25 runs.

India on top of Group A

With three wins in three matches, India currently lead Group A. Pakistan stand third with two victories and one defeat, while the USA are placed second with two wins and two losses.

Shukla emphasised that the team’s strength lies in its balance and the ability of different players to deliver under pressure, reinforcing his confidence that India can go all the way in the tournament.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

India crush Namibia by 93 runs to go top of Group A in T20 World Cup

India defeated Namibia by 93 runs in New Delhi to register their biggest T20 World Cup win and climb to the top of Group A.

Published

on

india vs namibia

India registered their biggest-ever win in T20 World Cup history with a commanding 93-run victory over Namibia in New Delhi on Thursday, moving ahead of Pakistan at the top of Group A on net run-rate.

Despite posting a formidable 209 for 9, India’s batting effort was not entirely flawless, as Namibia captain Gerhard Erasmus delivered an impressive spell of 4 for 20 to keep his side in contention during the middle overs.

Kishan and Pandya lead the charge

India’s innings was anchored by a blistering knock from Ishan Kishan, who smashed 61 off just 24 balls. His explosive stroke play included five sixes and six boundaries, bringing up a rapid half-century that laid a strong platform.

Hardik Pandya continued the momentum with a 28-ball 52, striking four sixes and four boundaries. He also shared a brisk 81-run partnership with Shivam Dube (23 off 16 balls) in just 6.3 overs to take India beyond the 200-mark.

Sanju Samson made a quick 22 off eight deliveries, including three sixes, but failed to convert his start. Skipper Suryakumar Yadav also could not capitalise, scoring 12 before being stumped off left-arm spinner Bernard Scholtz.

While the surface at the Kotla was flat, Erasmus’ variations — including side-arm deliveries and bowling from behind the crease — created discomfort for several Indian batters, including Kishan, Pandya and Tilak Varma (25).

Namibia bowled out for 116

Chasing 210, Namibia struggled against India’s varied attack and were bowled out for 116 in 18.2 overs.

Varun Chakravarthy was the standout performer with figures of 3 for 7 in two overs, while Pandya contributed with 2 for 21 in four overs. Axar Patel also chipped in with 2 for 20 as Namibia’s resistance faded after a brief show of aggressive intent.

The result leaves India needing just one win from their remaining two matches to qualify for the Super Eights stage.

With Pakistan next in sight, the comprehensive win provides India with momentum, though the contest against Namibia revealed areas that will demand sharper execution in the high-pressure clash ahead.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com