English हिन्दी
Connect with us

LATEST SPORTS NEWS

Maoists? Local rivalry? Hoax?

Published

on

sourav-ganguly

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Sourav death threat has cops in tizzy

By Sujit Bhar

There is a possibility that this could be a hoax. That does not reduce the seriousness of the death threat issued to former India captain and Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) president Sourav Ganguly on January 7 (Saturday).

Sourav is scheduled to travel to the district of Midnapore to attend a felicitation ceremony as chief guest at an inter-college cricket meet at the Vidyasagar University there on January 19.

Sourav told reporters after the CAB’s working committee meeting in Kolkata on January 9 (Monday): “Yes I’ve received the letter on January 7 and I’ve informed this to the police and the organisers. ‎Let’s see, nothing has been decided yet but it will be a live show programme and you all will come to know if I go there.”

The letter, signed by one Z Alam, was couriered to Sourav’s mother Nirupa, reports say. According to a source quoted in the media the letter said: ‎”Your son is hereby warned not to attend the programme. If he dares to come here, you will not see him again.”

While he has not yet decided if he should go to the felicitation, the situation remains fluid. Kolkata’s joint commissioner of police (crime) has been quoted as saying that he has “got nothing so far” on the issue.

Sources have been quoted as saying that this probably is a local rivalry issue to show the organisers in poor light and should not be taken too seriously. There is, however, another school of thought that says that Maoists may be behind this. Certain areas of Midnapore district are Maoist-infested and Sourav’s proximity to the Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress administration in the state could have drawn their ire. That could be a serious issue.

Maoists have been the bane of consecutive administrations in the state. Former chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee’s (of the CPI-M) motorcade was ambushed in the Salboni area of West Midnapore in November 2008. Also in the motorcade were the then Union ministers Jitin Prasad and Ram Vilas Paswan.

It was an IED blast that snapped a high tension electric wire. An accompanying police car was riddled with shrapnel and pellets, injuring six policemen. The chief minister escaped without injury.

When Mamata came to power she tried her hand at making a deal with the Maoists, but failed. This irked her so much that Maoist outfits have all become anathema to her. This situation has not eased.

However, this is not the first time that Sourav has received threats.

In late-September and early October of 2008 he had received two letters (with a gap of a month) threatening to kidnap his daughter Sana, who was then seven years old, if a ransom of Rs 2 crore wasn’t paid.

The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) had said then that two letters were received by the family, one hand-delivered (dropped into the letterbox, because it bore no postal mark) the other sent via Speed Post from a post office near the main business district of the city, Esplanade. The letters were addressed to Sourav’s wife Dona.

The first letter did not worry the family—they were abroad at the time—but the second letter was taken seriously. CID sources had said that the letters could have come from the banned Indian Mujahideen group, but nothing much had come off it and the incident was forgotten.

Image courtesy: BCCI[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Cricket news

Ian Healy lashes out at Australia after T20 World Cup 2026 group stage exit

Ian Healy has criticised Australia’s squad balance and selection decisions after their early exit from the T20 World Cup 2026.

Published

on

Australia’s campaign at the T20 World Cup 2026 ended at the group stage, marking a surprising early departure for the 2021 champions. With Zimbabwe progressing alongside Sri Lanka from Group B, Australia failed to secure a place in the Super 8 stage.

Losses to Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka left the Mitchell Marsh-led side under pressure. A washed-out match between Ireland and Zimbabwe ultimately sealed Australia’s elimination from the tournament.

Former Australia wicketkeeper Ian Healy did not hold back in his assessment of the team’s performance and selection strategy. Speaking on SEN Cricket, Healy said the team’s approach in the lead-up to the tournament had been flawed.

“We were duped,” Healy remarked, suggesting that the squad composition prioritised power over adaptability in conditions suited to Sri Lanka and India. He criticised what he described as a denial of possible shortcomings and an overconfidence in the chosen combination.

Healy also questioned the decision-making around team changes during the tournament. He pointed out that in a crucial match, two bowlers and a leading batter were dropped to accommodate an all-rounder, another bowler, and the captain’s return, a move he felt disrupted the balance of the side.

The former wicketkeeper expressed particular concern over the batting order and the role of certain players. He questioned the inclusion of Cooper Connolly, noting the youngster’s recent run of low scores, and argued that the team lacked specialist batters capable of building innings in challenging conditions.

According to Healy, the squad was filled with finishers but lacked players who could stabilise the innings at the top. He also mentioned Cameron Green’s position at number three, Tim David at four, and Josh Inglis’ shifting role in the batting order as examples of what he called an “unbalanced team”.

Healy concluded that the selection direction taken a year ago, which he believes prioritised power-hitting over traditional batsmanship and form, ultimately backfired in subcontinental conditions.

Australia’s early exit means the Super 8 stage of the T20 World Cup 2026 will proceed without one of the tournament’s traditional heavyweights.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

India’s 61-run win over Pakistan strengthens World Cup hopes says BCCI vice-president

BCCI Vice-President Rajiv Shukla says he is fully confident India will win the T20 World Cup 2026 following their dominant 61-run victory over Pakistan.

Published

on

ind vs pakistan

India’s commanding victory over Pakistan in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has boosted confidence within the cricket establishment, with Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Vice-President Rajiv Shukla expressing firm belief that the team will go on to lift the trophy.

Reacting after India’s comprehensive 61-run win in Colombo on Sunday, Shukla described the result as a major achievement and praised the team’s overall performance.

“Winning against Pakistan by such a huge margin is a huge achievement. The way our boys played, I am fully confident that we will win the World Cup as well,” Shukla told reporters. He highlighted the depth in the squad, saying different players have stepped up at different times during the tournament.

Kishan’s fifty and disciplined bowling seal big win

A decisive half-century from Ishan Kishan laid the foundation for India’s total of 175 for 7. Kishan’s 77-run knock anchored the innings, while Suryakumar Yadav contributed 32 runs to push the score to a competitive total.

In reply, Pakistan were bowled out for 114 in 18 overs. India’s bowling attack delivered a collective performance, with Axar Patel, Varun Chakravarthy, Hardik Pandya and Jasprit Bumrah picking up two wickets each.

Usman Khan top-scored for Pakistan with 44, while Shaheen Afridi remained unbeaten on 23. Saim Ayub had earlier impressed with the ball, claiming 3 wickets for 25 runs.

India on top of Group A

With three wins in three matches, India currently lead Group A. Pakistan stand third with two victories and one defeat, while the USA are placed second with two wins and two losses.

Shukla emphasised that the team’s strength lies in its balance and the ability of different players to deliver under pressure, reinforcing his confidence that India can go all the way in the tournament.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

India crush Namibia by 93 runs to go top of Group A in T20 World Cup

India defeated Namibia by 93 runs in New Delhi to register their biggest T20 World Cup win and climb to the top of Group A.

Published

on

india vs namibia

India registered their biggest-ever win in T20 World Cup history with a commanding 93-run victory over Namibia in New Delhi on Thursday, moving ahead of Pakistan at the top of Group A on net run-rate.

Despite posting a formidable 209 for 9, India’s batting effort was not entirely flawless, as Namibia captain Gerhard Erasmus delivered an impressive spell of 4 for 20 to keep his side in contention during the middle overs.

Kishan and Pandya lead the charge

India’s innings was anchored by a blistering knock from Ishan Kishan, who smashed 61 off just 24 balls. His explosive stroke play included five sixes and six boundaries, bringing up a rapid half-century that laid a strong platform.

Hardik Pandya continued the momentum with a 28-ball 52, striking four sixes and four boundaries. He also shared a brisk 81-run partnership with Shivam Dube (23 off 16 balls) in just 6.3 overs to take India beyond the 200-mark.

Sanju Samson made a quick 22 off eight deliveries, including three sixes, but failed to convert his start. Skipper Suryakumar Yadav also could not capitalise, scoring 12 before being stumped off left-arm spinner Bernard Scholtz.

While the surface at the Kotla was flat, Erasmus’ variations — including side-arm deliveries and bowling from behind the crease — created discomfort for several Indian batters, including Kishan, Pandya and Tilak Varma (25).

Namibia bowled out for 116

Chasing 210, Namibia struggled against India’s varied attack and were bowled out for 116 in 18.2 overs.

Varun Chakravarthy was the standout performer with figures of 3 for 7 in two overs, while Pandya contributed with 2 for 21 in four overs. Axar Patel also chipped in with 2 for 20 as Namibia’s resistance faded after a brief show of aggressive intent.

The result leaves India needing just one win from their remaining two matches to qualify for the Super Eights stage.

With Pakistan next in sight, the comprehensive win provides India with momentum, though the contest against Namibia revealed areas that will demand sharper execution in the high-pressure clash ahead.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com