English हिन्दी
Connect with us

LATEST SPORTS NEWS

MSK Prasad clarifies selection committee was not bullied by Kohli and Shastri

Published

on

MSK Prasad

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]After Sunil Gavaskar expressed surprise why Virat Kohli’s captaincy was automatically allowed and called the selectors “lame ducks,” Chief Selector MSK Prasad defended his panel vigorously.

 Prasad, in an interview, termed Gavaskar’s ‘lame duck’ comment as ‘unfortunate’, but said that it only made his committee ‘stronger’.

 “It is very unfortunate. We have utmost respect for the legendary cricketers. Every opinion expressed by them is taken in right earnest. They have their viewpoints which are well- received. In fact, more than getting hurt by this kind of comments, it only makes this selection committee stronger, committed and united,” the former India stumper hit back.

Sunil Gavaskar had said that Virat Kohli’s appointment as captain was till the World Cup 2019 and thus there should have been a formal meeting to re-appoint Kohli before the MSK Prasad led selection committee named him as captain of the team across all the three formats for the West Indies tour that starts from August 3.

Prasad also denied speculation that Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri have tried to manipulate the panel on certain decisions. 

“Shastri and Kohli are the coach and captain of our senior team and Rahul Dravid looks after India A team. They have their roles and responsibilities cut out. We as selection committee have our roles and responsibilities. Working in tandem and in solidarity with Ravi, Virat and Rahul cannot be taken as being bullied,” he said.

“There were several occasions we had difference of opinions which we may not bring into the public domain. What happens within the four walls has to remain there. At the end of the day, we move on in the larger interest of the Indian team and the country,” he added. 

Replying to critics who point out that the present five-man national selection panel has played a combined 13 Tests between them; Prasad cited the example of England and Australia, where little- known former cricketers like Ed Smith and Trevor Hohns are chief selectors.

 “It is a common misconception that people think players who have played more cricket have more knowledge or more power and can bully anybody but it not the fact. If that is the case then the entire coaching unit, selection committee and all other relevant fields should be filled with only those people who have had vast international careers as players. I don’t think this is right,” he said.

Also Read : No Indian in the ICC Elite Panel of Umpires after S Ravi omitted

Highlighting the panel’s achievement in the last three years, Prasad said: “Our committee has travelled across the length and breadth of the country to identify fresh talent from domestic cricket and groomed the selected bunch through a systematic process and inducted the deserving players into the India A and further into the senior Indian teams.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Cricket news

Shadab Khan lands in trouble after ‘we’ve beaten India’ remark, PCB issues warning: Report

Shadab Khan has reportedly been advised by the PCB to mind his language after his remarks on former players following Pakistan’s loss to India stirred controversy.

Published

on

pakistan cricket team

Pakistan all-rounder Shadab Khan has reportedly been cautioned by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) after his remarks about former cricketers triggered controversy during the ongoing ICC T20 World Cup.

The issue surfaced after Pakistan suffered a 61-run defeat to India earlier in the tournament. Speaking to the media later, Shadab responded to criticism from former players and said that while they were legends, they “could not do what we have done,” referring to Pakistan’s win over India in the 2021 T20 World Cup.

PCB conveys displeasure over comments

According to reports, the PCB expressed its dissatisfaction with Shadab’s post-match comments and advised him to be mindful of his language during media interactions. Team manager Naveed Cheema reportedly conveyed the board’s concerns to the all-rounder.

Sources were quoted as saying that Shadab had crossed the line during the press conference and was reminded to show respect to former cricketers, including his father-in-law, former Pakistan spinner Saqlain Mushtaq.

The board has also reportedly instructed the team management to ensure that players limit their comments strictly to match-related matters. It is understood that further action could follow if similar instances occur.

Remarks came after Namibia match

Shadab’s statement came after Pakistan’s 102-run win over Namibia in Colombo, where he scored 36 off 22 balls and returned figures of 3 for 13. The comments were seen as a response to criticism directed at the current squad following their defeat to India.

Former wicketkeeper-batter Kamran Akmal described Shadab’s remarks as unnecessary, saying such words against former players warranted caution.

Media interactions under tighter control

The Pakistan team management has reportedly adopted a cautious approach regarding player interactions with the media. No players were made available for two days prior to the high-profile India clash.

In a separate instance, when Usman Tariq appeared for a pre-match interaction ahead of the Namibia fixture, the team’s media manager intervened to prevent him from responding to a tactical question. The manager stated that head coach Mike Hesson had already addressed the matter after the India match.

Pakistan are scheduled to face New Zealand in their first Super Eight fixture in Colombo on Saturday, followed by matches against England and Sri Lanka in Pallekele later in the tournament.

Continue Reading

LATEST SPORTS NEWS

India maintain clean sheet after 17-run victory over the Netherlands

India defeated Netherlands by 17 runs in their final Group A match of the T20 World Cup 2026, with Shivam Dube and Varun Chakravarthy playing decisive roles.

Published

on

India vs netherlands

India continued their unbeaten run in the T20 World Cup 2026 with a 17-run victory over Netherlands in their final Group A match at the Narendra Modi Stadium on Monday.

Batting first after winning the toss, India recovered from an early setback to post 193/6 in 20 overs. Netherlands responded with a spirited chase but were restricted to 176/7, handing India their fourth straight win of the group stage.

Dube rescues India after early blows

India’s innings began on a shaky note as both openers departed inside the powerplay. Abhishek Sharma endured a tough outing, registering his third consecutive duck in the tournament.

However, Shivam Dube turned the game around with a blistering 66 off just 31 deliveries. His aggressive knock provided the momentum India needed in the middle overs.

Captain Suryakumar Yadav added 34 runs, while Hardik Pandya (30) and Tilak Varma (28) chipped in with valuable cameos to lift India to a competitive total.

Varun’s double strike halts Dutch charge

In reply, Netherlands stayed in contention for much of the chase. Scott Edwards and Bas de Leede struck timely boundaries to keep the required rate within reach.

The turning point came in the 13th over when Varun Chakravarthy picked up two wickets in successive deliveries, leaving the Dutch side under pressure. He finished with three wickets, including a hat-trick opportunity that narrowly slipped away.

Dube also contributed with the ball, claiming two wickets, while Jasprit Bumrah delivered a key breakthrough by dismissing Edwards with a trademark yorker.

Despite late resistance from Noah Croes and Zach Lion-Cachet, Netherlands fell short by 17 runs.

India top Group A

With four wins from four matches, India finished at the top of Group A. Pakistan secured second place, followed by USA in third, Netherlands in fourth, and Namibia at the bottom without a win.

Dube was named Player of the Match for his decisive all-round performance.

India now head into the Super 8 stage carrying strong momentum and contributions from across their playing XI.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

Ian Healy lashes out at Australia after T20 World Cup 2026 group stage exit

Ian Healy has criticised Australia’s squad balance and selection decisions after their early exit from the T20 World Cup 2026.

Published

on

Australia’s campaign at the T20 World Cup 2026 ended at the group stage, marking a surprising early departure for the 2021 champions. With Zimbabwe progressing alongside Sri Lanka from Group B, Australia failed to secure a place in the Super 8 stage.

Losses to Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka left the Mitchell Marsh-led side under pressure. A washed-out match between Ireland and Zimbabwe ultimately sealed Australia’s elimination from the tournament.

Former Australia wicketkeeper Ian Healy did not hold back in his assessment of the team’s performance and selection strategy. Speaking on SEN Cricket, Healy said the team’s approach in the lead-up to the tournament had been flawed.

“We were duped,” Healy remarked, suggesting that the squad composition prioritised power over adaptability in conditions suited to Sri Lanka and India. He criticised what he described as a denial of possible shortcomings and an overconfidence in the chosen combination.

Healy also questioned the decision-making around team changes during the tournament. He pointed out that in a crucial match, two bowlers and a leading batter were dropped to accommodate an all-rounder, another bowler, and the captain’s return, a move he felt disrupted the balance of the side.

The former wicketkeeper expressed particular concern over the batting order and the role of certain players. He questioned the inclusion of Cooper Connolly, noting the youngster’s recent run of low scores, and argued that the team lacked specialist batters capable of building innings in challenging conditions.

According to Healy, the squad was filled with finishers but lacked players who could stabilise the innings at the top. He also mentioned Cameron Green’s position at number three, Tim David at four, and Josh Inglis’ shifting role in the batting order as examples of what he called an “unbalanced team”.

Healy concluded that the selection direction taken a year ago, which he believes prioritised power-hitting over traditional batsmanship and form, ultimately backfired in subcontinental conditions.

Australia’s early exit means the Super 8 stage of the T20 World Cup 2026 will proceed without one of the tournament’s traditional heavyweights.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com