English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

Anti-Khamenei protests intensify across Iran as Reza Pahlavi issues rallying call

Anti-regime protests have intensified across Iran amid soaring inflation and an internet shutdown, with demonstrators chanting against Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei as unrest spreads nationwide.

Published

on

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

Anti-government protests against Iran’s Islamic regime have intensified across Tehran and other parts of the country, with demonstrators chanting slogans against Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei amid a deepening economic crisis and widespread restrictions imposed by authorities.

As night fell on Thursday, neighbourhoods across the Iranian capital echoed with chants after exiled Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi called on people to protest at 8 pm local time. Witnesses said crowds gathered despite heavy security presence, with slogans including “Death to the dictator” and “Death to the Islamic Republic” heard in multiple areas.

Internet shutdown and warnings from authorities

Iranian authorities cut off internet access and international telephone calls as the demonstrations gained momentum. The judiciary and security forces warned of a harsh response, even as protesters continued chanting calls for freedom.

Pahlavi accused the government of attempting to silence dissent by shutting down communication networks. He said landlines, internet services and possibly satellite signals had been disrupted to prevent images and voices from reaching the outside world.

The exiled prince urged European leaders to join US President Donald Trump in holding the Iranian regime accountable and called for technical and diplomatic efforts to restore communication access for Iranians.

Support for monarchy slogans resurfaces

Some demonstrators were heard chanting slogans in praise of Iran’s former monarchy, including “This is the last battle, Pahlavi will return.” While such chants were once punishable by death, their re-emergence reflects growing anger over economic hardship and political repression.

It remains unclear whether the slogans indicate direct support for Reza Pahlavi or a broader rejection of the system established after the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Protests spread nationwide, casualties reported

Demonstrations have continued to spread to cities and rural towns across Iran, with markets and bazaars shutting down in solidarity. At least 42 people have been killed and more than 2,270 detained since the unrest began, according to human rights groups based outside Iran.

Reports have also emerged of security personnel being killed or injured during clashes. Iranian media have reported fatal attacks on police officers and security forces in multiple provinces, including Tehran’s outskirts, Kermanshah, and northeastern regions.

Economic crisis fuels unrest

The current wave of protests, the largest in three years, began in Tehran’s Grand Bazaar after shopkeepers protested the sharp fall of the national currency. Iran’s inflation rate stood at 52 per cent year-on-year in December, according to official data.

The rial has continued to weaken, with one US dollar now costing around 1.4 million rials. Protesters have blamed economic mismanagement, sanctions, and restrictions on social and political freedoms for their worsening living conditions.

President Masoud Pezeshkian has acknowledged the economic pain faced by citizens and described protesters’ demands as legitimate, though he admitted the government’s ability to reverse the currency collapse is limited.

Leaderless movement and uncertain outcome

Despite the scale of the unrest, the protests remain largely leaderless. Analysts note that the absence of a clear alternative leadership has weakened previous protest movements in Iran, with many potential leaders having been arrested, exiled or silenced over the years.

Authorities have yet to launch a full-scale crackdown, though past internet shutdowns have often preceded harsher measures.

Trump issues warning to Tehran

US President Donald Trump warned Iran last week against violently suppressing peaceful protesters, saying the country would “pay hell” if security forces killed demonstrators. He stopped short of confirming any direct engagement with Pahlavi, stating that it was too early to determine who might emerge as a leader of the movement.

As protests continue and communication restrictions remain in place, the situation inside Iran remains tense, with uncertainty over how the regime will respond in the coming days.

Latest world news

Sam Altman calls for urgent AI regulation at India AI Impact Summit

OpenAI chief Sam Altman calls for urgent regulation of artificial intelligence at the India AI Impact Summit, as global leaders debate safeguards, investments and job impact.

Published

on

Sam altman ai impact summit

OpenAI chief Sam Altman has said the world urgently needs to regulate artificial intelligence, warning that unchecked centralisation of the technology could have serious consequences.

Speaking at the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi on Thursday, Altman highlighted both the opportunities and risks associated with rapidly advancing AI systems.

“Centralisation of this technology in one company or country could lead to ruin,” Altman said, adding that regulation and safeguards are urgently required, much like other powerful technologies developed in the past.

Frenzied global demand for generative AI tools has significantly boosted company profits, while also raising concerns over societal disruption, misinformation and environmental impact.

Leaders call for inclusive and responsible AI

Addressing the gathering, Prime Minister Narendra Modi emphasised that AI should serve the broader public good.

“We must democratise AI. It must become a medium for inclusion and empowerment,” he said, noting that humans and intelligent systems are entering a phase of co-creation and collaboration. He urged stakeholders to ensure AI benefits the global community.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres echoed similar sentiments, calling for the creation of a $3 billion global fund to promote open access to AI technologies. He said AI should not be controlled by a limited number of nations or individuals.

French President Emmanuel Macron, who hosted last year’s summit, stressed the need for safe oversight while encouraging innovation. Meanwhile, Google CEO Sundar Pichai and Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei were among the industry leaders who addressed the event.

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates cancelled his scheduled appearance shortly before the summit began. His foundation said the move was to keep the focus on the summit’s key priorities. Gates has recently expressed regret over past interactions with Jeffrey Epstein, though the mention of a name in related files does not imply wrongdoing.

Big investments and infrastructure push

India is positioning itself as a major AI hub and expects over $200 billion in investments over the next two years. During the summit week, major announcements were made by global technology firms.

OpenAI and Indian IT major Tata Consultancy Services said they will jointly build hyperscale AI data centre capacity in India. Google announced plans to lay subsea cables connected to its broader $15 billion AI infrastructure initiative. Chipmaker Nvidia also revealed partnerships with Indian cloud firms to supply advanced processors for AI data centres.

The rapid expansion of power-intensive AI data centres worldwide has raised environmental concerns, particularly over electricity and water consumption as countries work toward decarbonising energy grids.

Job concerns and India’s ambitions

India rose to third place in a global AI competitiveness ranking compiled by Stanford researchers last year, though experts say it still trails the United States and China significantly.

One key concern remains the potential disruption of jobs, especially in India’s large call centre and technology support sector. However, Reliance Group chairman Mukesh Ambani said AI would generate new high-skilled employment opportunities rather than eliminate work.

World leaders are expected to release a joint statement on Friday outlining their approach to managing the fast-evolving AI landscape.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

PM Modi, Macron, Sundar Pichai to address India AI Impact Summit 2026 in New Delhi

PM Modi, Emmanuel Macron and leading tech CEOs including Sundar Pichai and Sam Altman address the India AI Impact Summit 2026 in New Delhi.

Published

on

PM Modi with French President Emmanuel Macron

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, French President Emmanuel Macron, and leading global technology executives including Sundar Pichai and Sam Altman are set to address the India AI Impact Summit 2026 in New Delhi.

The six-day summit began on Monday at Bharat Mandapam and carries the theme “Sarvajan Hitaya, Sarvajan Sukhaya”, meaning welfare for all and happiness for all.

Fourth edition of international AI gathering

This year marks the fourth annual global AI summit. Previous editions were held in the UK in 2023, South Korea in 2024, and France in 2025. The 2026 edition is being described as the largest so far.

More than 20 heads of state and over 500 global AI leaders are expected to participate. The summit will also host nearly 100 CEOs and founders from leading technology firms.

Among prominent speakers scheduled to participate are Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei, Google DeepMind chief Demis Hassabis, Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen, and Wipro executive chairman Rishad Premji.

Modi highlights human-centric AI vision

Prime Minister Modi said the summit’s theme reflects India’s commitment to ensuring that artificial intelligence drives inclusive and human-focused progress.

In a message posted on X, he said AI is reshaping key sectors such as healthcare, education, agriculture, governance, and enterprise. He expressed confidence that discussions around innovation, collaboration, and responsible use would help define a progressive and opportunity-driven future.

He also noted that India, supported by its 1.4 billion citizens, is emerging as a key force in AI transformation, citing digital public infrastructure, a growing startup ecosystem, and advanced research efforts.

Investment outlook and global partnerships

Union IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw stated that India expects investments exceeding $200 billion over the next two years in the technology space.

Sundar Pichai said India is on track for an “extraordinary trajectory” in artificial intelligence. He added that Google intends to strengthen its partnership with India, including plans to build subsea cables under its existing $15 billion AI infrastructure investment.

Reflecting on his roots, Pichai said India has witnessed significant transformation since his childhood in Chennai. He also met Prime Minister Modi during the summit.

Meanwhile, US chipmaker Nvidia announced collaborations with Indian cloud service providers to supply advanced processors for AI-focused data centres capable of training and running AI systems.

Focus on responsible AI governance

At the conclusion of the summit, world leaders are expected to release a joint statement outlining approaches to governing AI technologies.

Experts have underlined the need for stronger safeguards to address challenges such as sexualised deepfakes, AI-driven online fraud, and concerns related to surveillance.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

PM Modi announces Special Global Strategic Partnership between India and France

PM Modi announced a Special Global Strategic Partnership between India and France after bilateral talks with President Emmanuel Macron during his official visit to India.

Published

on

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday announced a “Special Global Strategic Partnership” between India and France after holding talks with French President Emmanuel Macron. The two leaders also inaugurated the “India-France Year of Innovation 2026” during their meeting in Mumbai.

President Macron is on an official visit to India from February 17 to 19 at the invitation of Prime Minister Modi to participate in the AI Impact Summit being hosted by India.

Leaders highlight innovation, stability and multipolar world

Addressing a joint press conference with President Macron, PM Modi said the India-France partnership “knows no boundaries” and extends from “deep oceans to highest mountains.”

He stressed that innovation thrives through cooperation. “Innovation needs collaboration, not isolation,” the Prime Minister said, adding that the partnership would expand across defence, energy, space, technology and critical minerals.

PM Modi also said that at a time of global uncertainty, ties between the two countries would act as a force for global stability. He reiterated India’s support for a multipolar world order.

Shared democratic values and commitment to peace

The Prime Minister said India and France share democratic values and a commitment to the rule of law. He added that both nations believe reform of global institutions is necessary to address contemporary global challenges.

He further stated that India and France support peace efforts in regions including Ukraine, West Asia and the Indo-Pacific. Both countries, he said, are united in their commitment to eradicate terrorism in all its forms and manifestations.

Macron’s fourth India visit

This marks President Macron’s fourth visit to India and his first visit to Mumbai. The “India-France Year of Innovation 2026” aims to showcase the expanding strategic and technological cooperation between the two nations.

The two sides are also looking ahead to a potential multibillion-dollar fighter jet deal, reflecting the growing depth of defence cooperation between India and France.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com