English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

Nawaz Sharif, daughter and son-in-law indicted in Avenfield graft case

Published

on

Nawaz Sharif

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Trial against the ousted Pakistan Prime Minister and his family in the Avenfield properties case will start on October 26

In a move that is likely to increase political troubles for Nawaz Sharif, an accountability court in Islamabad indicted the ousted Pakistan Prime Minister, his daughter Maryam and her husband Captain (retired) Mohammad Safdar in a corruption case related to their London-based Avenfield properties case.

The indictment has now paved the way for a trial to commence against Sharif, his daughter and son-in-law in the Avenfield flats reference – one of the three references made by Pakistan’s National Accountability Bureau (ACB) against the Sharif family earlier this year after a five-judge Bench of the country’s Supreme Court disqualified Nawaz Sharif from holding the office of Prime Minister. Sharif was forced to step down from the Pakistan Premier’s office after the SC verdict which had stemmed from the cases filed against Sharif on the basis of allegations made against him and his family members during the Panama Papers leaks in 2016. The Panama Papers leaks appeared to show that Sharif’s daughter and two sons owned offshore holding companies registered in the British Virgin Islands and used them to buy posh flats in London.

Sharif is currently in the United Kingdom to attend to his ailing wife Kulsoom who is undergoing treatment for throat cancer at a hospital in London. The Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) chief and his sons Hassan and Hussain are likely to be indicted in the two more references made against them by the ACB later on Thursday.

During the hearing in the Avenfield properties reference in the Islamabad-based accountability court on Thursday, Maryam, Safdar and Nawaz Sharif’s pleader said that the ousted Prime Minister was pleading “not guilty” to the charges brought against him. Maryam and Safdar who were both present in the courtroom also pleaded not guilty.[/vc_column_text][vc_raw_html]JTNDaWZyYW1lJTIwd2lkdGglM0QlMjI4MTklMjIlMjBoZWlnaHQlM0QlMjI0OTElMjIlMjBzcmMlM0QlMjJodHRwcyUzQSUyRiUyRnd3dy55b3V0dWJlLmNvbSUyRmVtYmVkJTJGd05mTUhyWnM0b3clMjIlMjBmcmFtZWJvcmRlciUzRCUyMjAlMjIlMjBhbGxvd2Z1bGxzY3JlZW4lM0UlM0MlMkZpZnJhbWUlM0U=[/vc_raw_html][vc_column_text]“I do not plead guilty. Charges are not only groundless, baseless and unfounded but also frivolous, and on top of that we are being denied our right to fair trial. The charges are being framed on a report that is incomplete and controversial. It will go down in history as [a] mockery of justice and travesty of justice. Moreover, the charges are being framed without awaiting the detailed order of the Supreme Court in the review petitions,” Sharif’s pleader – Zafir Khan said in a statement before the court after the trio were indicted.

Earlier, the court had rejected applications filed by Sharif, Maryam and Capt Safdar which sought suspension of the indictment on grounds that the PML-N chief was in London to attend to his wife and so could not be present in the court for the proceedings. As a result, both Nawaz Sharif and his family’s lead counsel Khawaja Haris were not present during the indictment as they are both in London.

According to a report by Pakistan’s Dawn News, Maryam has been charged with being the beneficial owner of the London flats while Capt Safdar has been charged with being her accomplice in acquiring the said Avenfield apartments. The indictment order passed by the accountability court states that the “accused were unsuccessful in showing the sources of income used to purchase the London flats”.

On October 26, when the trial in the Avenfield flats reference begins, Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan’s (SECP) joint registrar Sidra Mansoor will record Maryam’s statement as the first witness in the case.

While speaking to reporters in Islamabad after the indictment, Maryam said: “one day there would be accountability of the accountability process” that her family is going through and that “Injustice and atrocities cannot continue together.”

The indictment of the Sharif family, which comes a little over two months after Nawaz Sharif was forced to step down as Prime Minister following the country’s verdict in the Panama Papers case against him, has given more ammunition to attack the ousted Premier’s political rivals in the country at a time when Pakistan’s general elections are less than a year away.

Speaking to Pakistan’s Geo News about Maryam and Capt Safdar’s indictment, Awami Muslim League (AML) leader Sheikh Rashid said: “The law has truly been implemented today.”

Fawad Chaudhary, spokesperson of cricketer-turned politician Imran Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf party too expressed satisfaction over the indictment and hoped that the court would also indict Sharif and his family in the other two references made against them in corruption cases.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Entertainment

Val Kilmer, iconic star of Top Gun and Batman Forever, dies at 65

Hollywood actor Val Kilmer, best known for roles in Top Gun and Batman Forever, has died at 65 following a battle with pneumonia.

Published

on

Val Kilmer death, Top Gun Iceman, Batman Forever actor, Hollywood actor dies 2025, Val Kilmer career, Val Kilmer movies

Veteran Hollywood actor Val Kilmer, known for his powerful performances in blockbuster films like Top Gun, Batman Forever, The Doors, and Heat, passed away at the age of 65 in Los Angeles. His daughter, Mercedes, confirmed he died of pneumonia. Kilmer had previously battled throat cancer, diagnosed in 2014, and had undergone a tracheotomy that affected his voice and limited his screen appearances.

Remembering a multifaceted performer

Born Val Edward Kilmer on December 31, 1959, in Los Angeles, he was the youngest student ever admitted to the prestigious Juilliard School at age 17. Kilmer’s early work in comedies like Top Secret! and Real Genius quickly brought him into the limelight. His career skyrocketed with the role of Iceman in Top Gun (1986), starring opposite Tom Cruise.

Kilmer’s portrayal of Jim Morrison in The Doors (1991) earned acclaim for its intensity and authenticity. His role as Doc Holliday in Tombstone and as part of the ensemble cast in Michael Mann’s Heat further solidified his standing in Hollywood. In 1995, Kilmer stepped into the iconic cape and cowl as Batman in Batman Forever, following Michael Keaton.

Tributes pour in

Filmmaker Michael Mann paid homage, calling Kilmer’s talent “brilliant and variable” and said the news was “tremendously sad.” Actor Josh Brolin remembered him as “smart, brave and uber-creative,” while British actor David Thewlis called him “extraordinary” and a “friend.” Actor Will Kemp and others remembered Kilmer for his generosity and unique presence on set.

US actor Josh Gad credited Kilmer for shaping the films of his childhood, while James Woods lauded his unforgettable performance as Doc Holliday.

A legacy beyond the screen

Kilmer, who married actress Joanne Whalley in 1988 and had two children with her, was also a visual artist, drawing inspiration from his film characters. In 2021, he released Val, a deeply personal documentary composed of decades of personal video footage, showcasing the ups and downs of his career and life post-cancer.

Despite health setbacks, Kilmer made a memorable return to the screen in Top Gun: Maverick (2022), once again portraying Iceman. His brief but emotional appearance was praised by fans and co-star Tom Cruise alike.

Film critics and industry insiders agree: Kilmer was never just another leading man. With an unpredictable, often edgy screen persona, he brought depth and complexity to every role he played.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Iran puts missile defence on standby after Trump’s bombing comment

Published

on

By

US airstrikes in Yemen: 31 killed after Donald Trump launches large-scale strikes on Houthis

Iran’s armed forces have positioned missiles capable of hitting US-affiliated sites globally, the Tehran Times reported hours after US President Donald Trump threatened to “bomb” the country in response to nuclear negotiations with Tehran.

The report noted many of these missiles are housed in underground silos across Iran, engineered to withstand airstrikes.

On Sunday, Trump had told journalists that if Iran failed to meet US demands it would face unprecedented bombing. The bombing, Trump, said will be of a scale Iran has never seen before.

He also pointed towards reinstating secondary tariffs on Iran and its trade partners, suggesting that a decision would be made in the following weeks based on Tehran’s response.

The Tehran Times reported that Iran’s military is poised with missiles capable of striking US-related targets amid Trump’s ongoing threats of military intervention if an agreement on the nuclear programme isn’t reached. During his presidency, Trump withdrew from the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which had placed strict restrictions on Iran’s nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions relief. Trump reaffirmed that his administration remains open to talks, but emphasized that Iran must show its commitment to curtailing its nuclear endeavors.

In response to Trump’s remarks, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian addressed the issue through state media. He rejected the idea of direct negotiations with the US but acknowledged the possibility of continuing indirect discussions, facilitated by Oman.

“The supreme leader has also indicated that indirect negotiations can proceed. We do not shy away from negotiations; rather, their unreliability has caused issues for us. They must demonstrate their ability to create trust regarding their decisions, and I hope this will happen,” Pezeshkian was quoted as saying. In summary, tensions are escalating as Iran prepares its military capabilities in response to Trump’s threats, while diplomatic efforts continue on a potentially indirect basis.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Myanmar earthquake: Toll crosses 1,600, rescue ops continue; satellite images show extent of devastation across Mandalay

In Thailand, the situation is similarly grim. Reports indicate a rise in the death toll to 17 as of Sunday, with city officials confirming 32 injuries and 83 individuals still unaccounted for, primarily linked to a 30-story construction tower that collapsed.

Published

on

Satellite imagery has captured the devastating impact of the recent 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck Myanmar, leading to cataclysmic destruction and resulting in the loss of over 1,600 lives. As international aid efforts mobilize, the country’s death toll has reached 1,644. In Mandalay, residents are desperately searching through the rubble for survivors, while aftershocks continue to shake the already ravaged city.

In Thailand, the situation is similarly grim. Reports indicate a rise in the death toll to 17 as of Sunday, with city officials confirming 32 injuries and 83 individuals still unaccounted for, primarily linked to a 30-story construction tower that collapsed.

In response to the disaster, India has launched its Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) operations. A specialized rescue contingent from the 50 (I) Para Brigade was deployed to Myanmar under Operation Brahma. This team, consisting of 118 members with medical and communication capabilities, arrived at Naypyitaw International Airport yesterday, led by the brigade’s commander.

After unloading crucial supplies and equipment, the team has moved to a nearby harbor area, located approximately 45 minutes from the airport. Today marks the beginning of the mission’s expansion, with a reconnaissance unit that includes an officer and a Junior Commissioned Officer heading into Mandalay, situated 160 miles north of their current base.

Mandalay has been designated as the primary operational center, and plans are in place for the full team to arrive later this morning. While aerial deployment is the primary strategy, road access is also being considered to facilitate the establishment of the operational theater.

In light of the earthquake, neighboring countries have dispatched warships and aircraft filled with relief supplies and rescue teams. India, China, and Thailand, alongside Malaysia, Singapore, and Russia, are among those providing support.

Indian military planes have conducted multiple flights into Myanmar, delivering essential supplies and search-and-rescue teams to Naypyitaw, where significant destruction has occurred. The Indian Army is also working to set up a field hospital in Mandalay, with two navy vessels on their way to Yangon, Myanmar’s commercial center, carrying additional supplies.

Chinese rescue teams have also arrived, including a group that entered via land from Yunnan province, as reported by China’s embassy in Myanmar. Additionally, a 78-member team from Singapore, equipped with rescue dogs, has been active in Mandalay today, according to media reports.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com

Left Menu Icon