English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Priyanka Gandhi leads protest against G Ram G Bill, calls move to replace MGNREGA unconstitutional

Priyanka Gandhi objected in Lok Sabha to the Centre’s G Ram G Bill, saying it weakens MGNREGA and dilutes the constitutional right to employment.

Published

on

Senior Congress leader and Wayanad MP Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Tuesday led a protest in Parliament against the Centre’s move to replace the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) with the proposed Viksit Bharat Rozgar and Ajeevika Mission (Gramin) Bill, 2025, popularly referred to as the G Ram G Bill.

Holding up photographs of Mahatma Gandhi on the Parliament premises, Congress MPs objected to the introduction of the Bill, alleging that it weakens a landmark welfare law that has supported rural livelihoods for two decades.

Priyanka Gandhi opposes Bill in Lok Sabha

During proceedings in the Lok Sabha, Union Agriculture Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan sought permission to introduce the new Bill, which aims to replace MGNREGA. Priyanka Gandhi opposed the move under Rule 72(1) of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business, registering what she described as a “strong objection”.

She said MGNREGA had been a revolutionary law since its introduction in 2005 by the UPA government and had enjoyed support across party lines. According to her, the scheme guarantees 100 days of employment annually to the poorest sections in rural India and has played a key role in strengthening the rural economy.

Concerns over funding model and role of Gram Sabhas

Priyanka Gandhi flagged concerns over changes proposed in the new Bill, particularly the shift from a demand-based funding model to a system where allocations are decided in advance by the Centre. She argued that MGNREGA works on demand from the ground, with Gram Sabhas empowered to assess local employment needs.

“The right to employment is being weakened, and this goes against the Constitution,” she said, adding that the proposed law reduces the role of Gram Sabhas and dilutes the core principle of guaranteed work.

She also pointed out that the Centre’s funding share for the scheme has come down to 60 per cent for most states, warning that this could strain state finances at a time when several states are already awaiting GST dues.

Objection to renaming and passage without discussion

The Congress leader questioned what she described as a “craze” to rename existing schemes, noting that such changes involve additional costs. She urged the government not to rush the legislation and to withdraw the Bill for wider discussion in the House.

When members from the treasury benches made a remark referring to her family, Priyanka Gandhi responded by saying that Mahatma Gandhi may not belong to her family but is regarded as family by the entire nation.

Wider opposition, government defence

Several opposition leaders echoed these concerns. Congress MP Shashi Tharoor opposed the Bill, calling it immoral to remove Mahatma Gandhi’s name from the scheme. Other विपक्ष members raised issues over normative funding and the reduced central contribution.

Government sources, however, defended the Bill, saying it aligns with the Viksit Bharat 2047 vision. They argued that normative funding allows predictable and rational budgeting, unlike a demand-based model that can lead to uncertainty, while still ensuring employment or unemployment allowance for eligible workers.

BJP leader and former Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi dismissed the opposition’s protest, alleging that the objection stemmed from the inclusion of Lord Ram’s name in the scheme.

India News

Ajit Pawar’s son seeks detailed probe into Baramati plane crash

Jay Pawar has demanded a comprehensive probe and action against the aviation firm after the Baramati plane crash that killed Ajit Pawar and four others.

Published

on

Jay Pawar, the younger son of Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, has called for a comprehensive and impartial investigation into the plane crash near Baramati that claimed his father’s life along with four others on January 28.

In a social media post on Wednesday, Jay Pawar raised concerns over what he described as “possible serious lapses” that may have led to the fatal accident. He asserted that the aircraft’s black box is not easily destroyed and stressed that people of Maharashtra deserve to know the complete truth behind the crash.

Demand for action against aviation company

The ill-fated Learjet 45XR aircraft was operated by VSR Ventures Private Limited. Jay Pawar urged authorities to conduct a detailed probe into the firm’s operations and sought a ban on the aviation company pending investigation.

“A detailed investigation of possible serious lapses and irregularities of the aircraft firm should be done in a detailed and impartial manner,” he said.

The crash occurred near the Baramati airstrip, resulting in the deaths of Ajit Pawar and four others.

Call for CBI probe and sabotage allegations

Jay Pawar’s statement came a day after Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Sunetra Pawar and leaders from the Nationalist Congress Party met Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis to demand a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the accident.

Separately, NCP (SP) MLA Rohit Pawar alleged there was reason to suspect sabotage in the crash and called for a multi-agency investigation involving experts.

During a press conference last week, Rohit Pawar also questioned the past record of Captain Sumit Kapoor, who was piloting the aircraft on the day of the crash. He referred to the pilot’s previous three-year suspension for alcohol consumption.

AAIB seeking support to retrieve CVR data

The Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau (AAIB) is conducting a detailed probe into the crash. According to the agency, special technical assistance has been sought to retrieve data from the Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) of the Learjet 45 aircraft involved in the accident.

The investigation is ongoing.

Continue Reading

India News

PM Modi to inaugurate India AI Impact Summit 2026 at Bharat Mandapam today

PM Narendra Modi will inaugurate the India AI Impact Summit 2026 at Bharat Mandapam, with participation from 118 countries and global leaders.

Published

on

AI impact summit innauguration pm modi

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to inaugurate the India AI Impact Summit 2026 at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi today.

He will participate in the opening ceremony at around 9:40 am and is scheduled to address the gathering at approximately 10:25 am. The inaugural session is expected to include addresses by French President Emmanuel Macron and United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, along with leading figures from the global technology and industry sectors.

Following the ceremony, the Prime Minister is expected to visit the India AI Impact Expo 2026 at around 11 am with other leaders, where various country pavilions will be showcased.

118 countries participating in summit

Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw, in his welcome address, said the summit has drawn participation from 118 countries.

Describing artificial intelligence as a foundational technology, he said AI is transforming how people work, learn and make decisions. The minister outlined five layers of the AI stack — Application, Model, Compute, Infrastructure and Energy — and said India is working across all these layers to democratise technology and ensure its benefits reach the masses.

Leaders’ plenary and CEO roundtable scheduled

The Prime Minister will participate in the Leaders’ Plenary around noon. The session will bring together heads of state, ministers and senior representatives from multilateral institutions to discuss governance, infrastructure and international cooperation in artificial intelligence.

Later in the evening, from 5:30 pm onwards, he will attend a CEO roundtable. The meeting will convene senior executives from global technology and industry firms along with government leadership to deliberate on investment, research collaboration, supply chains and deployment of AI systems.

Bill Gates to skip keynote address

Meanwhile, the Gates Foundation said Bill Gates will not deliver his keynote address at the summit today.

The organisation said it has decided that Mr Gates will not speak to ensure focus remains on the summit’s key priorities. The foundation will instead be represented by Ankur Vora, president of its Africa and India offices, who is scheduled to speak later during the event.

The foundation reiterated its commitment to advancing shared health and development goals in India.

Theme of the summit

The six-day summit began on February 16 and is being held under the theme “Sarvajan Hitaya, Sarvajan Sukhaya” (welfare for all, happiness of all).

This is the fourth annual international AI-focused gathering, following previous meetings held in the United Kingdom in 2023, South Korea in 2024 and France in 2025.

The exhibition remains closed to the general public today. To compensate for the closure, the government has extended the expo by an additional day and it will remain open until Saturday, February 21.

Continue Reading

India News

Galgotias University asked to vacate India AI Summit over Chinese robot dog row

Galgotias University has reportedly been asked to vacate its stall at the India AI Impact Summit after a Chinese-made robotic dog was allegedly presented as a university innovation.

Published

on

Galgotias University has reportedly been asked to vacate its exhibition space at the India AI Impact Summit in New Delhi after a controversy erupted over the display of a robotic dog at the event.

The Greater Noida-based institution came under scrutiny after a video from the summit went viral on social media. In the clip, representatives of the university were seen presenting a robotic dog as a product developed by its Centre of Excellence.

Robot identified as Unitree Go2

The robotic dog displayed at the summit was identified as the Unitree Go2, a commercially available quadruped robot manufactured by Chinese robotics company Unitree. The model is available for purchase in India at a price ranging between Rs 2 lakh and Rs 3 lakh.

At the summit, the machine was introduced under the name “Orion”. In one of the widely circulated videos, a university representative claimed during a media interaction that the robot had been developed at Galgotias University’s Centre of Excellence.

Another clip showed a professor making a similar assertion, stating that the robot was built by the university team. Social media users later pointed out that the device matched the Unitree Go2 model and alleged that imported technology was being presented as an indigenous innovation.

University issues clarification

Following the backlash, Galgotias University released a statement on X, formerly Twitter, clarifying that the robotic dog had been procured from Unitree and was being used as a learning tool for students.

In its statement, the university said the robodog was acquired to help students experiment and expand their technical understanding. It further stated that it had not built the robot nor claimed to have done so.

However, the clarification drew further criticism online. A Community Note was added to the university’s post, stating that the claim of never presenting the robodog as its own was misleading. The note highlighted that the robot had been renamed “Orion” and that university representatives had explicitly claimed it was developed by their team during the event.

Faculty response amid reports of removal

Responding to the controversy, Neha, a communications faculty member at the School of Management who had earlier described the robot as a Galgotias innovation, said the issue may have stemmed from a misunderstanding during interaction with the media. She stated that she is not part of the AI department and that the robot was brought for projection purposes.

Meanwhile, amid reports that the university had been asked to vacate its stall at the summit, Professor Aishwarya Shrivastava said that they had no such information at that point.

Social media backlash intensifies

The controversy gained momentum after several users on X shared side-by-side comparisons of the robot displayed at the summit and promotional images of the Unitree Go2 available online.

One widely circulated post stated:

“This is Unitree Go2, a Chinese robot that can be ordered online. How is this being presented as developed by the university?”

Another user wrote:

“Renaming a commercial product ‘Orion’ doesn’t make it indigenous. This is a standard Unitree model.”

Multiple posts questioned how a commercially available imported product was described as a Centre of Excellence innovation during a national AI-focused summit.

The university later described the criticism as part of a “propaganda campaign” against it. Its post itself carried a Community Note stating that video evidence showed representatives claiming the robot was developed in-house.

The episode has sparked wider debate online over transparency, attribution and accurate representation of technology at innovation events.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com