English हिन्दी
Connect with us

LATEST SPORTS NEWS

Delhi on phone with Putin, NATO Chief’s claim over US tariff impact

NATO chief Mark Rutte said Donald Trump’s tariffs on India for purchasing Russian oil are hurting Moscow and claimed PM Modi asked Russian President Putin to explain his Ukraine strategy. Trump recently imposed 50% tariffs on India, accusing New Delhi of fueling Moscow’s war.

Published

on

modi and Putin

NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte has claimed that US President Donald Trump’s decision to impose heavy tariffs on Indian imports is having a direct impact on Russia, suggesting that New Delhi has been compelled to seek explanations from Moscow.

Speaking to CNN on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) session in New York on Friday, Mr Rutte said the tariffs were already influencing India’s engagement with Russia.

“This (tariff) immediately impacts Russia because that means Delhi is now on the phone with Vladimir Putin in Moscow, and Narendra Modi is asking him, ‘I support you, but could you explain me your strategy because I have now been hit by these 50% tariffs by the United States’,” Mr Rutte remarked.

There was no immediate response from either New Delhi or Moscow to Mr Rutte’s comments.

Trump’s Tariff Moves

Last month, Mr Trump imposed a 25% reciprocal tariff on Indian goods, along with an additional 25% penalty for New Delhi’s continued purchase of Russian oil. The US President, who has introduced a wave of reciprocal tariffs on several countries since returning to office, accused India of indirectly fueling Moscow’s war in Ukraine by buying discounted oil.

Earlier this month, Mr Trump urged NATO allies to raise tariffs of “50 to 100%” on Chinese goods and to halt Russian oil imports altogether. He argued that continuing purchases weakened the alliance’s negotiating leverage against Moscow.

“It greatly weakens your negotiating position and bargaining power over Russia,” Mr Trump posted on Truth Social, calling NATO’s current efforts “far less than 100%.”

Mr Rutte supported that line, saying NATO members “should stop” buying Russian oil to strengthen the alliance’s stance.

India-US Trade Talks

Amid rising tensions over tariffs, Indian Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal led a delegation to New York this week for talks with US officials. The team, including chief negotiator Rajesh Agrawal, met American counterparts to push forward discussions on a proposed bilateral trade agreement.

The visit followed earlier meetings in Delhi between Mr Agrawal and US Chief Negotiator Brendan Lynch.

Mr Trump, in a post on September 10, said he looked forward to speaking with his “very good friend” Prime Minister Modi soon and expressed confidence that trade differences could be resolved.

“I feel certain that there will be no difficulty in coming to a successful conclusion for both our countries,” Mr Trump wrote.

PM Modi responded on X, noting that India and the US are “close friends and natural partners.” He expressed confidence that the trade negotiations would “unlock the limitless potential” of the bilateral partnership.

“Our teams are working to conclude these discussions at the earliest. I am also looking forward to speaking with President Trump. We will work together to secure a brighter, more prosperous future for both our people,” Mr Modi posted.

Cricket news

Shadab Khan lands in trouble after ‘we’ve beaten India’ remark, PCB issues warning: Report

Shadab Khan has reportedly been advised by the PCB to mind his language after his remarks on former players following Pakistan’s loss to India stirred controversy.

Published

on

pakistan cricket team

Pakistan all-rounder Shadab Khan has reportedly been cautioned by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) after his remarks about former cricketers triggered controversy during the ongoing ICC T20 World Cup.

The issue surfaced after Pakistan suffered a 61-run defeat to India earlier in the tournament. Speaking to the media later, Shadab responded to criticism from former players and said that while they were legends, they “could not do what we have done,” referring to Pakistan’s win over India in the 2021 T20 World Cup.

PCB conveys displeasure over comments

According to reports, the PCB expressed its dissatisfaction with Shadab’s post-match comments and advised him to be mindful of his language during media interactions. Team manager Naveed Cheema reportedly conveyed the board’s concerns to the all-rounder.

Sources were quoted as saying that Shadab had crossed the line during the press conference and was reminded to show respect to former cricketers, including his father-in-law, former Pakistan spinner Saqlain Mushtaq.

The board has also reportedly instructed the team management to ensure that players limit their comments strictly to match-related matters. It is understood that further action could follow if similar instances occur.

Remarks came after Namibia match

Shadab’s statement came after Pakistan’s 102-run win over Namibia in Colombo, where he scored 36 off 22 balls and returned figures of 3 for 13. The comments were seen as a response to criticism directed at the current squad following their defeat to India.

Former wicketkeeper-batter Kamran Akmal described Shadab’s remarks as unnecessary, saying such words against former players warranted caution.

Media interactions under tighter control

The Pakistan team management has reportedly adopted a cautious approach regarding player interactions with the media. No players were made available for two days prior to the high-profile India clash.

In a separate instance, when Usman Tariq appeared for a pre-match interaction ahead of the Namibia fixture, the team’s media manager intervened to prevent him from responding to a tactical question. The manager stated that head coach Mike Hesson had already addressed the matter after the India match.

Pakistan are scheduled to face New Zealand in their first Super Eight fixture in Colombo on Saturday, followed by matches against England and Sri Lanka in Pallekele later in the tournament.

Continue Reading

LATEST SPORTS NEWS

India maintain clean sheet after 17-run victory over the Netherlands

India defeated Netherlands by 17 runs in their final Group A match of the T20 World Cup 2026, with Shivam Dube and Varun Chakravarthy playing decisive roles.

Published

on

India vs netherlands

India continued their unbeaten run in the T20 World Cup 2026 with a 17-run victory over Netherlands in their final Group A match at the Narendra Modi Stadium on Monday.

Batting first after winning the toss, India recovered from an early setback to post 193/6 in 20 overs. Netherlands responded with a spirited chase but were restricted to 176/7, handing India their fourth straight win of the group stage.

Dube rescues India after early blows

India’s innings began on a shaky note as both openers departed inside the powerplay. Abhishek Sharma endured a tough outing, registering his third consecutive duck in the tournament.

However, Shivam Dube turned the game around with a blistering 66 off just 31 deliveries. His aggressive knock provided the momentum India needed in the middle overs.

Captain Suryakumar Yadav added 34 runs, while Hardik Pandya (30) and Tilak Varma (28) chipped in with valuable cameos to lift India to a competitive total.

Varun’s double strike halts Dutch charge

In reply, Netherlands stayed in contention for much of the chase. Scott Edwards and Bas de Leede struck timely boundaries to keep the required rate within reach.

The turning point came in the 13th over when Varun Chakravarthy picked up two wickets in successive deliveries, leaving the Dutch side under pressure. He finished with three wickets, including a hat-trick opportunity that narrowly slipped away.

Dube also contributed with the ball, claiming two wickets, while Jasprit Bumrah delivered a key breakthrough by dismissing Edwards with a trademark yorker.

Despite late resistance from Noah Croes and Zach Lion-Cachet, Netherlands fell short by 17 runs.

India top Group A

With four wins from four matches, India finished at the top of Group A. Pakistan secured second place, followed by USA in third, Netherlands in fourth, and Namibia at the bottom without a win.

Dube was named Player of the Match for his decisive all-round performance.

India now head into the Super 8 stage carrying strong momentum and contributions from across their playing XI.

Continue Reading

Cricket news

Ian Healy lashes out at Australia after T20 World Cup 2026 group stage exit

Ian Healy has criticised Australia’s squad balance and selection decisions after their early exit from the T20 World Cup 2026.

Published

on

Australia’s campaign at the T20 World Cup 2026 ended at the group stage, marking a surprising early departure for the 2021 champions. With Zimbabwe progressing alongside Sri Lanka from Group B, Australia failed to secure a place in the Super 8 stage.

Losses to Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka left the Mitchell Marsh-led side under pressure. A washed-out match between Ireland and Zimbabwe ultimately sealed Australia’s elimination from the tournament.

Former Australia wicketkeeper Ian Healy did not hold back in his assessment of the team’s performance and selection strategy. Speaking on SEN Cricket, Healy said the team’s approach in the lead-up to the tournament had been flawed.

“We were duped,” Healy remarked, suggesting that the squad composition prioritised power over adaptability in conditions suited to Sri Lanka and India. He criticised what he described as a denial of possible shortcomings and an overconfidence in the chosen combination.

Healy also questioned the decision-making around team changes during the tournament. He pointed out that in a crucial match, two bowlers and a leading batter were dropped to accommodate an all-rounder, another bowler, and the captain’s return, a move he felt disrupted the balance of the side.

The former wicketkeeper expressed particular concern over the batting order and the role of certain players. He questioned the inclusion of Cooper Connolly, noting the youngster’s recent run of low scores, and argued that the team lacked specialist batters capable of building innings in challenging conditions.

According to Healy, the squad was filled with finishers but lacked players who could stabilise the innings at the top. He also mentioned Cameron Green’s position at number three, Tim David at four, and Josh Inglis’ shifting role in the batting order as examples of what he called an “unbalanced team”.

Healy concluded that the selection direction taken a year ago, which he believes prioritised power-hitting over traditional batsmanship and form, ultimately backfired in subcontinental conditions.

Australia’s early exit means the Super 8 stage of the T20 World Cup 2026 will proceed without one of the tournament’s traditional heavyweights.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com