English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

Erdogan: Turkey Can’t Remain Silent’ Over Khashoggi Fate

Published

on

Erdogan: Turkey Can’t Remain Silent' Over Khashoggi Fate

Exerting more pressure on Saudi authorities on its alleged role in killing dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi at its consulate in Istanbul, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that Ankara ‘cannot remain silent to such an incident”.

While speaking to reporters on his return from Hungary on thursday, Erdogan expressed disbelief at Saudi claims that Khashoggi disappeared without being recorded by security cameras after leaving the mission.

He said, “How is it possible for a consulate, an embassy not to have security camera systems? Is it possible for the Saudi Arabian consulate where the incident occurred not to have camera systems? If a bird flew, if a mosquito appeared, these systems would catch them and [I believe] they would have the most advanced of systems.”

Meanwhile Turkish investigators have claimed that a consular source heard screams and sounds of struggle, obviously while Khashoggi was facing the death squad.

Read More: Turkish Official Confirm Khashoggi Killed On Saudi Royal Order

The Aljazeera correspondent Jamal Elshayyal reports from Istanbul that the investigators have heard testimony from a source who was inside the Saudi consulate at the time of Khashoggi’s disappearance. He has reportedly claimed to have heard sounds of a struggle.

Erdogan: Turkey Can’t Remain Silent' Over Khashoggi FateElshayyal said, “I have learned earlier that, among the evidence with the investigation is testimony from inside the consulate at the time that Jamal [Khashoggi] was there, which includes sounds of loud screams and shouting, as well as calls for help and the sound of a struggle and then sudden silence.”

He reports that despite earlier reports to the contrary, Turkish authorities have yet to be given permission to search the Saudi consulate “in the way or with the team that they would like”.

Turkish authorities have also requested to search a number of vehicles registered to the consulate and home of the consul general, after a van with tinted windows was seen leaving the consulate and driving to the home a couple of hours after Khashoggi entered the mission.

Read More: Erdogan asks Saudis to provide video of Khashoggi’s departure

In another development, the designations of the 15-member Saudi ‘assassination squad’ are revealed by the investigators. Authorities in Ankara believe that they carried out Khashoggi’s assassination.

It is said that the head of the forensic unit in the Saudi defence forces, a former head of intelligence at the Saudi Arabian embassy in London and several special forces officers were among the group, which flew into Istanbul on October 2, the day when Khashoggi disappeared.

The investigators have found that all 15 men had booked four nights in two hotels situated near the Saudi consulate but left Turkey less than 24 hours after arriving.

The Washington Post and New York Times have reported that Saudi Royal Court: i.e.  Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman himself ordered an operation targeting Jamal Khashoggi.

Read More: Istanbul: Missing Journalist Khashoggi Killed In Saudi Mission

Earlier US intelligence intercepts have also proved that Saudi officials were heard discussing a plan to lure Khashoggi from the US, where he resides, back to Saudi Arabia where he would be detained.

Erdogan: Turkey Can’t Remain Silent' Over Khashoggi FateMeanwhile, US President Donald Trump, while responding on a telephonic interview with  Fox News Channel on Wednesday  as to whether the Saudis were responsible for Khashoggi’s disappearance, has said: “I guess you would have to say so far it’s looking a little bit like that, and we’re going to have to see.”

Trump also expressed reluctance to act on calls to withhold US arms sales to Saudi Arabia, saying that US jobs and economic strength are tied to such trade deals.

“Part of that is what we’re doing with our defense systems and everybody’s wanting them. And frankly I think that would be a very, very tough pill to swallow for our country. I mean, you’re affecting us and, you know, they’re always quick to jump that way,” he said.

In a related development, more than 20 Republican and Democratic senators, in a joint letter to President Trump  have instructed to order an investigation into Khasoggi’s disappearance under legislation that authorises imposing sanctions on perpetrators of extrajudicial killings.

The Saudi ambassador to Washington, Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, has described the allegations as “malicious leaks and grim rumours” and said the kingdom is “gravely concerned” about Khashoggi.

Earlier, Saudi authorities have claimed that Khashoggi left the consulate shortly after entering. However, they have failed to provide video footage showing his departure.

Besides Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, National Security Adviser John Bolton and senior adviser Jared Kushner – Donald Trump’s son-in-law – spoke to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman about Khashoggi’s disappearance.

Latest world news

Bigg Boss 14 contestant Rahul Vaidya struggles walking in knee deep water, compares Dubai rains with Mumbai floods

Singer and TV personality Rahul Vaidya was recently stranded in the Dubai rains.

Published

on

Rahul Vaidya, who was in Dubai ahead of his show which was scheduled to take place today, left the country due to heavy rains and reached Kolkata. The artist shared on social media his encounters in the UAE city, including challenges like walking through knee-deep water. Rahul provided an update regarding the heavy rainfall in Dubai on his Instagram profile.

The Bigg Boss 14 contestant revealed that he was in Kolkata and prepared to do an evening performance. Recalling the terrifying period he went through, Vaidya said there was a lot of confusion and panic in Dubai. The situation was similar to that when heavy floods hit Mumbai in 2005.

Vaiday also posted seval other images and videos of cars that were underwater and flooded roadways. The Bigg Boss 14 contestant, who shared his ordeal, claimed that even though it had just rained for two hours, the situation was dire.

In one of the video, which went viral he can be seen struggling in walking in knee-deep water. He can be also seen holding his sneakers in one hand and with other hand he was seen managing other things.

This is the result of the two hours of rain that it had, he can be heard saying in the video. Vidya also said he dosen’t believe Dubai is accustomed to a lot of rain. Everything had stopped working, he remarked.

After taking part in the first season of the singing reality show Indian Idol, Rahul Vaidya gained widespread recognition. In addition to Bigg Boss, he took part in Khatron Ke Khiladi 11.

Meanwhile, heavy rains that triggered flooding in the UAE and Bahrain, which left 18 people dead in Oman on Sunday and Monday, have paralyzed the financial hub of the Middle East, Dubai.

A lot of incoming flights were diverted from Dubai’s international airport because of the rain. At 7:26 p.m., the busiest airport in the world for foreign visitors stopped accepting new arrivals; a gradual resumption was announced for more than two hours later.

Images of planes navigating flooded tarmacs are making the rounds on social media.

According to pictures shared on social media, the flagship malls Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates both experienced heavy floods, while at least one Dubai Metro station had water up to the ankles.

There were several road collapses, severe flooding in residential areas, and numerous reports of leaks from windows, doors, and roofs.

Due to the unfavourable weather, schools around the United Arab Emirates were forced to close, and as more storms are predicted, the closures are anticipated to last until Wednesday. The government of Dubai allowed its staff to work remotely till this Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Dubai sky turns green during storm in UAE, video goes viral

The UAE witnessed record-breaking rainfall on Tuesday and the National Centre of Meteorology recorded 254 mm of rainfall in less than 24 hrs in the Khatm Al Shakla area in Al Ain.

Published

on

1 person was killed in UAE as it witnessed heavy rainfall on Tuesday, stranding commuters, flooding roads, disrupting trains and flights and resulting in water leakage from mall ceilings. The UAE witnessed record-breaking rainfall on Tuesday and the National Centre of Meteorology recorded 254 mm of rainfall in less than 24 hrs in the Khatm Al Shakla area in Al Ain. It is being said that the rainfall was the highest documented since the start of data collection in 1949.

The heavy rainfall in UAE came days after a similar situation in neighbouring Oman, where 13 people were killed in flash floods. Many parts of Oman saw torrential rains, which caused students to be trapped in buses and swept away motorists and trapped people in their homes.

Videos from Dubai circulating on social media showed widespread waterlogging on roads in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and other important cities. This left daily commuters in cars and other vehicles struggling to get back home. Dubai metro station too was seen flooded and closed.

One such video circulating on social media shows the aerial view of the city of Dubai from the top of a building. In the video the stormy winds are seen blowing over the city of Dubai. As the storm intensifies the Dubai sky turns green and ultimately gets covered by heavy rainfall. The video has gone viral on social media with more than 1.1 million views.

Another video showed water leakage from the ceilings of shopping malls, flooding the floors and destroying goods. A video which was shot in the famous Mall of the Emirates, showed pieces of ceiling falling as the rainwater gushed inside. Videos from many outlets of the Deira City Centre mall chain showed escalators being rendered unusable. Majid Al Futtaim, the company which owns the Mall of Emirates, said that the shopping complexes have been kept open and the customers are being sent away from the flooded areas. 

Continue Reading

India News

Sri Lankan Minister Douglas Devananda says statements on reclaiming Katchatheevu island from Sri Lanka have no ground

Devananda told the media on Thursday that it is not unusual to hear such claims and counterclaims about Katchatheevu as elections are taking place in India.

Published

on

Sri Lankan Minister Douglas Devananda has said the statements from some political leaders in India on reclaiming Katchatheevu from the island nation have no ground. He told the media on Thursday that it is not unusual to hear such claims and counterclaims about the strategic island as elections are taking place in India.

The Sri Lankan Minister said he thought India is acting on its interests to secure this place to ensure Sri Lankan fishermen would not have any access to that area and that Sri Lanka should not claim any rights in that resourceful area. According to the 1974 agreement, Devananda said Indian and Sri Lankan fishermen can go fishing in the territorial waters of both countries until the pact was reviewed and amended in 1976.

The amended agreement resulted in fishermen from both countries being barred from fishing in neighboring waters. India’s ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday steered clear of the row surrounding Katchatheevu island. To a volley of questions on the Katchatheevu issue, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal reffered to External affairs Minister S Jaishankar’s recent comments on the matter.

He said he would like to talk about the issue that has been raised. He added the External Affairs minister has spoken to the press here in Delhi and also in Gujarat and has clarified all the issues. He said everyone should look into the press engagements and they would find the answers to their questions there.

The remarks from Devananda, a Sri Lankan Tamil, came days after the Narendra Modi government accused the Congress and its ally DMK in Tamil Nadu of overlooking national interests by handing over Katchatheevu island to Sri Lanka in 1974. The BJP has also been slamming the 2 parties for not ensuring the rights of the fishermen wanting to fish in waters around the island.

Continue Reading

Trending

-->

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com