English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

Syria: Turkish forces and anti Assad group capture Afrin

Published

on

Syria: Turkish forces and anti Assad group capture Afrin

In a major development in the Middle East, Turkish forces and anti- Bashar al-Assad regime group Free Syrian Army (FSA) have captured the centre of Afrin in northwest Syria after Kurdish fighters evacuated the city.

According to Aljazeera, Turkey’s military said in a tweet on Sunday that troops were searching for landmines and other explosive devices in the area.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, while addressing in western Trukey on Sunday said, “Many of the terrorists had turned tail and run away already.” He further said that Turkey-backed forces took complete control of the city centre at 8:30am local time. He said that since the beginning of the Afrin operation on 20 January, 3,603 “terrorists had been neutralised”.

Erdogan said the Turkish flag and the flag of the Syrian opposition fighters were raised in the city, previously controlled by the Kurdish militia known as the People’s Protection Units, or YPG, a separatist group supporting  their Turkish counterparts PKK.

Describing the developments after capturing the city, Erdogan said, “Our special forces and members of the Free Syrian Army are cleaning the remains and the traps they left behind. In the centre of Afrin, symbols of trust and stability are waving instead of rags of terrorists.”Syria: Turkish forces and anti Assad group capture Afrin

Meanwhile, Trukish army spread the video footage showing their soldiers taking control of the administrative building in the centre of the city. Dogan news agency showed Syrian fighters shooting in the air in celebration. In another Dogan video, a Syrian fighter is seen shooting at a statue of Kurdish hero Kawa, a symbol of resistance against oppressors, before a bulldozer pulled it down.

The Turkish army and Free Syrian Army had launched their joint operation to vanquish the US-backed YPG fighters near its border.

Syrian official news agency SANA, reported on Sunday that Turkish forces and their “terrorist mercenaries” invaded the city of Afrin on Sunday after fierce continuous bombardment on the city since January 20.

The agency quoted local and media sources saying that Turkish forces and terrorist groups affiliated to them have stormed the residential neighbourhood of Afrin city following heavy shelling carried during the past few days on the city, which targeted the city’s only hospital, in addition to cutting off water and communications.

The Syrian news agency claimed that more than 1,100 civilians were “martyred” or injured since the beginning of the Turkish assault on Afrin, in addition to the destruction of the city’s infrastructure and the displacement of thousands of civilians.

Meanwhile Free Syrian Army spokesman Mohammad al-Hamadeen  has claimed that the Kurdish forces have pulled back to Syrian government-controlled areas around Aleppo, or east of the Euphrates River.

On the other hand, anti-Assad London based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) had previously said at least 150,000 civilians fled the city since last Wednesday.

Bekir Bozdag, the spokesman of Turkish government has said that the military campaign would continue to secure areas around Afrin and make sure food and medicine were available.

Observers believe that capturing of Afrin by Trukish forces and anti-Asad group indicate that US administration has given its consent to the Trukish move against separatist Kurdish group YPG. However, details are still not clear about the deal.

Latest world news

India studying implications after US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs

India said it is studying the implications of a US Supreme Court ruling that struck down Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs, even as a new 10% global duty has been announced under an alternate law.

Published

on

Donald Trump

India on Saturday said it is closely examining the implications of a recent ruling by the US Supreme Court that struck down former US President Donald Trump’s sweeping global tariffs.

In its initial response, the Commerce Ministry said it has taken note of both the court’s judgement and subsequent announcements made by the US administration.

“We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday (Friday). US President Donald Trump has also addressed a press conference in this regard,” the ministry said.

“Some steps have been announced by the US administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications,” it added.

What did the US Supreme Court rule?

On Friday, the conservative-majority court ruled 6–3 that a 1977 law relied upon by Trump to impose sudden tariffs on individual countries does not authorise the President to impose such sweeping duties.

The judgement marked a significant setback to Trump’s tariff policy, which had reshaped trade relations with several countries.

Responding to the ruling, Trump criticised members of the court, saying he was “ashamed” of certain justices and describing the verdict as disappointing.

Fresh tariffs under Section 122

Following the court’s decision, Trump announced new tariffs using Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974. The provision allows the US President to impose temporary tariffs of up to 15 per cent for a maximum period of 150 days to address large and serious balance-of-payments deficits.

Under this route, a new 10 per cent global tariff has been imposed on imports into the United States. Trump said the revised order would be effective almost immediately.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, speaking at the Economic Club of Dallas, said the alternative mechanism would result in virtually unchanged tariff revenue in 2026.

Impact on India

Under the revised order, India faces a tariff rate of 10 per cent, reduced from the earlier 18 per cent under Trump’s broader tariff framework.

The new duty is scheduled to take effect from February 24 for a period of 150 days. Exemptions will continue for sectors subject to separate investigations, including pharmaceuticals, as well as goods entering the US under the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement framework.

India has not announced any retaliatory measures and has indicated that it is currently assessing the trade and economic implications of the US decisions.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

PM Modi meets Sri Lankan President Dissanayake at AI summit, reviews connectivity agenda

PM Modi and Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake reviewed connectivity, AI cooperation and regional stability during talks at the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi.

Published

on

PM Modi meet sri lanka president

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held talks with Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake on the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi, reviewing the progress of bilateral initiatives and reaffirming their commitment to deepening connectivity and development cooperation.

President Dissanayake was in India to attend the India-hosted AI Impact Summit. The visit marked his second trip to India since assuming office, following his State Visit in December 2024.

Focus on connectivity and development

According to the Ministry of External Affairs, the two leaders assessed developments stemming from recent high-level engagements, including Prime Minister Modi’s State Visit to Sri Lanka in April 2025. They emphasised fast-tracking cooperation across three key pillars — physical, digital and energy connectivity — which remain central to India-Sri Lanka relations.

Both sides reiterated that improved connectivity would not only enhance economic integration but also contribute to long-term stability and prosperity in the region.

AI collaboration and inclusive growth

Technology-driven development also featured prominently in the discussions. The leaders exchanged views on leveraging artificial intelligence for developmental purposes and improving service delivery.

They agreed that responsible deployment of AI can help advance inclusive growth, particularly in developing countries, and support public service systems.

India’s support during crisis

President Dissanayake expressed appreciation for India’s assistance following Cyclone Ditwah, which caused significant damage in Sri Lanka. India, acting as a First Responder, provided emergency relief supplies and supported search and rescue operations under ‘Operation Sagar Bandhu’.

The leaders also reviewed progress under India’s USD 450 million assistance package aimed at reconstruction and infrastructure restoration in Sri Lanka. The support is intended to aid long-term recovery and strengthen economic resilience.

Cultural ties and regional cooperation

Beyond economic and strategic matters, the meeting underscored the civilisational and cultural bonds between the two countries. The successful conclusion of the Exposition of the Holy Devnimori relics in Sri Lanka was welcomed as a step that further strengthened people-to-people connections.

Both leaders agreed to continue working closely to advance sustainable development, while contributing to peace and stability in the wider Indian Ocean Region.

The meeting highlighted India’s role as both a technology partner and a regional collaborator, as New Delhi and Colombo seek to build a resilient and forward-looking bilateral partnership.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Trump signs 10% global tariffs after US Supreme Court setback

Donald Trump has signed a new 10% global tariff order after the US Supreme Court struck down much of his earlier sweeping import duties

Published

on

donald-trump

US President Donald Trump has signed a fresh executive order imposing a 10 per cent tariff on imports from countries around the world, just hours after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down much of his earlier sweeping import duties.

The new tariffs, which Trump said will take effect “almost immediately”, are being introduced under a law that limits such measures to 150 days. Describing the move as the beginning of an “adjustment process”, the President signalled that his administration would explore alternative routes to maintain revenue from import duties.

Trump criticises top court ruling

The Supreme Court’s 6-3 decision dealt a significant blow to a key part of Trump’s economic strategy. The ruling invalidated large portions of the administration’s previous tariff framework, prompting a sharp response from the President.

In posts on Truth Social, Trump said certain members of the court “should be ashamed of themselves” and termed the judgment “deeply disappointing”. He argued that the tariff mechanism used by his administration had been “acceptable and proper” and insisted that the new order was legally sound.

Trump also claimed that his use of tariffs over the past year had contributed to economic gains, citing milestones in the stock market. He said the Dow had crossed 50,000 and the S&P had reached 7,000, levels he argued were achieved sooner than expected following his election victory.

Tariffs central to Trump’s policy push

Tariffs have remained a central pillar of Trump’s economic and trade agenda. In April, he had announced “reciprocal” taxes of up to 50 per cent on imports from countries with which the United States runs trade deficits, along with a 10 per cent baseline tariff on most other nations.

He invoked a 1977 law to declare the trade deficit a national emergency, justifying broad import taxes. However, after global backlash, the administration paused the higher reciprocal tariffs for 90 days to allow for negotiations.

According to Trump, several countries agreed to revised trade terms during that period, while others faced steeper duties. He also reiterated claims that tariffs strengthened national security and helped curb fentanyl inflows by 30 per cent when used as penalties against certain countries.

“All of those tariffs remain,” Trump said, adding that other measures would now replace those struck down by the court.

The latest order underscores escalating tensions between the White House and the judiciary, as the administration seeks to preserve a cornerstone of its trade policy while navigating legal constraints.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com