English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

Zimbabwe plunges into uncertainty as military captures power

Published

on

Zimbabwe plunges into uncertainty as military captures power

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Military firm on assault against “criminals” but denies Coup d’etat 

In a sudden development plunging Zimbabwe into political uncertainty, top military man has seized power in a targeted assault on “criminals” around President Robert Mugabe, 93, who has assured the nation and global community of the leader and his family being “safe and sound”

According to Reuters Zimbabwe’s Major-General SB Moyo, chief of staff logistics, said on national television on Wednesday that the move was targeted to assault on “criminals” around President Robert Mugabe who were causing social and economic suffering.

Reports indicate that soldiers and armoured vehicles blocked the roads leading to the main government buildings, including parliament and the courts in central Harare. Eyewitnesses said that people were seen queued for cash outside banks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpuD18v5RHM

Major General SB Moyo said, “We are only targeting criminals around him (Mugabe) who are committing crimes that are causing social and economic suffering in the country in order to bring them to justice. As soon as we have accomplished our mission, we expect that the situation will return to normalcy.”

A government source has also confirmed the detention of Finance Minister Ignatius Chombo by the military officials. Chombo was a leading member of the so-called ‘G40’ faction of the ruling Zanu-PF party, led by Mugabe’s wife Grace, who had been vying to succeed Mugabe.

Robert Mugabe described the situation on Wednesday in one of his twitter post;[/vc_column_text][vc_raw_html]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[/vc_raw_html][vc_column_text]Earlier on Tuesday, soldiers were deployed across Harare who seized the state broadcaster after Mugabe’s ruling Zanu-PF party accused the head of the military of treason, prompting frenzied speculation of a coup.
According to Harare based The Herald daily the Zimbabwe African National Union- Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF) Youth League, on Tuesday said it will stand by President Mugabe in the face of any threat to his position as the constitutionally elected leader of the country. Secretary of the Youth League Affairs Cde Kudzanai Chipanga told journalists on Tuesday that young people will not allow anyone to interfere with President Mugabe’s leadership.

In a video message available on youtube the youth leader was heard saying, “It is our country and future at stake and we will not let any individual military man interfere with the leader of the party and legitimately voted President of this country, Cde Robert Gabriel Mugabe. All those in security sector fatigues who wish to engage in politics are free to throw their hats in the ring and not hide behind the barrel of a gun. We the youths of Zimbabwe constitute the majority of the population in our millions and it is our future which is at stake. Freedom is a non-negotiable birthright bestowed upon us by the revolution.”[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJaOYVWaxZA&feature=youtu.be”][vc_column_text]In the immediate reaction to the Zanu –PF Youth League statement, General Constantino Chiwenga, the commander of the Defence Forces, in the unprecedented reprimand of President Mugabe and Zanu- PF, warned against firing of liberation movement stalwarts from within its ranks.

The military commander thundered at the media saying, “The current purging of which is clearly targeting members of the party with a liberation background must stop forthwith.”

Last week Mugabe removed Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa from both the government and the ruling party.

Within Just 24 hours after Chiwenga’s threatening statement to intervene to end a purge, a Reuters reporter saw armoured personnel carriers on main roads around the capital. During the late evening hours aggressive soldiers were seen asking car drivers to keep moving through the darkness. The journalist who reported from ground zero was barked by a soldier, “Don’t try anything funny. Just go”.

The soldiers overran the ZBC, state broadcaster and ordered its staff to leave and even manhandled some of the resisting ones. Three explosions were heard in the heart of the capital Harare.

Robert Mugabe has led Zimbabwe for the last 37 years. His opponents blame him as a despot who has destroyed one of Africa’s most promising states because of disastrous handling of the country’s economy and willingness to resort violence against them.

The United States and British governments have issued advisories to their citizens in Harare to stay indoors because of “political uncertainty.”

Zimbabwe has been on edge since Monday when Commander of the Zimbabwe Defence Forces Chiwenga announced his readiness to “step in” to end a purge of supporters of sacked vice-president Emmerson Mnangagwa.

The sacked vice president Emmerson Mnangagwa, a former security chief nicknamed “The Crocodile”, was appointed only a few months ago. He was considered to be a favourite to succeed his life-long political patron Mugabe. But Mnangagwa was ousted a week ago to pave the way for Mugabe’s 52-year-old wife Grace to succeed him.

Mugabe chaired a weekly cabinet meeting in the capital on Tuesday, officials said, and afterwards Zanu-PF said it stood by the “primacy of politics over the gun” and accused Chiwenga of “treasonable conduct … meant to incite insurrection”.

The grim situation was indicated because neither Mugabe nor Grace have responded in public to Chiwenga’s remarks and state media did not publish his statement.

In recent years, the economic meltdown has reached a very low level. The growing inflation is a major concern for the people. At present, imported goods were running out and economists say that currently inflation growth is rated at 50 percent a month.

Grace Mugabe’s rise has brought her into conflict with the independence-era war veterans, who enjoyed privileged status in Zimbabwe until the last two years when they spearheaded criticism of Mugabe’s handling of the economy.

According to the a trove of intelligence documents studied by Reuters, Mnangagwa  was planning to revitalise the economy by bringing back thousands of white farmers thrown out of the country some two decades ago. He was considered to be reviving relations with world financial institutions including World Bank and IMF.

Robert Gabriel Mugabe has been President since 1987. Earlier he was Prime Minister for seven years. He chaired Zimbabwe African National Union (ZANU) group from 1975 to 1980. Ideological he is knows as African nationalist, during 1970s and 1980s he was identified as a Marxixt-Leninist. However after 1990s he is known as socialist. His policies have been described as Mugabeism.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Latest world news

India studying implications after US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs

India said it is studying the implications of a US Supreme Court ruling that struck down Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs, even as a new 10% global duty has been announced under an alternate law.

Published

on

Donald Trump

India on Saturday said it is closely examining the implications of a recent ruling by the US Supreme Court that struck down former US President Donald Trump’s sweeping global tariffs.

In its initial response, the Commerce Ministry said it has taken note of both the court’s judgement and subsequent announcements made by the US administration.

“We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday (Friday). US President Donald Trump has also addressed a press conference in this regard,” the ministry said.

“Some steps have been announced by the US administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications,” it added.

What did the US Supreme Court rule?

On Friday, the conservative-majority court ruled 6–3 that a 1977 law relied upon by Trump to impose sudden tariffs on individual countries does not authorise the President to impose such sweeping duties.

The judgement marked a significant setback to Trump’s tariff policy, which had reshaped trade relations with several countries.

Responding to the ruling, Trump criticised members of the court, saying he was “ashamed” of certain justices and describing the verdict as disappointing.

Fresh tariffs under Section 122

Following the court’s decision, Trump announced new tariffs using Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974. The provision allows the US President to impose temporary tariffs of up to 15 per cent for a maximum period of 150 days to address large and serious balance-of-payments deficits.

Under this route, a new 10 per cent global tariff has been imposed on imports into the United States. Trump said the revised order would be effective almost immediately.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, speaking at the Economic Club of Dallas, said the alternative mechanism would result in virtually unchanged tariff revenue in 2026.

Impact on India

Under the revised order, India faces a tariff rate of 10 per cent, reduced from the earlier 18 per cent under Trump’s broader tariff framework.

The new duty is scheduled to take effect from February 24 for a period of 150 days. Exemptions will continue for sectors subject to separate investigations, including pharmaceuticals, as well as goods entering the US under the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement framework.

India has not announced any retaliatory measures and has indicated that it is currently assessing the trade and economic implications of the US decisions.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

PM Modi meets Sri Lankan President Dissanayake at AI summit, reviews connectivity agenda

PM Modi and Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake reviewed connectivity, AI cooperation and regional stability during talks at the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi.

Published

on

PM Modi meet sri lanka president

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held talks with Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake on the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi, reviewing the progress of bilateral initiatives and reaffirming their commitment to deepening connectivity and development cooperation.

President Dissanayake was in India to attend the India-hosted AI Impact Summit. The visit marked his second trip to India since assuming office, following his State Visit in December 2024.

Focus on connectivity and development

According to the Ministry of External Affairs, the two leaders assessed developments stemming from recent high-level engagements, including Prime Minister Modi’s State Visit to Sri Lanka in April 2025. They emphasised fast-tracking cooperation across three key pillars — physical, digital and energy connectivity — which remain central to India-Sri Lanka relations.

Both sides reiterated that improved connectivity would not only enhance economic integration but also contribute to long-term stability and prosperity in the region.

AI collaboration and inclusive growth

Technology-driven development also featured prominently in the discussions. The leaders exchanged views on leveraging artificial intelligence for developmental purposes and improving service delivery.

They agreed that responsible deployment of AI can help advance inclusive growth, particularly in developing countries, and support public service systems.

India’s support during crisis

President Dissanayake expressed appreciation for India’s assistance following Cyclone Ditwah, which caused significant damage in Sri Lanka. India, acting as a First Responder, provided emergency relief supplies and supported search and rescue operations under ‘Operation Sagar Bandhu’.

The leaders also reviewed progress under India’s USD 450 million assistance package aimed at reconstruction and infrastructure restoration in Sri Lanka. The support is intended to aid long-term recovery and strengthen economic resilience.

Cultural ties and regional cooperation

Beyond economic and strategic matters, the meeting underscored the civilisational and cultural bonds between the two countries. The successful conclusion of the Exposition of the Holy Devnimori relics in Sri Lanka was welcomed as a step that further strengthened people-to-people connections.

Both leaders agreed to continue working closely to advance sustainable development, while contributing to peace and stability in the wider Indian Ocean Region.

The meeting highlighted India’s role as both a technology partner and a regional collaborator, as New Delhi and Colombo seek to build a resilient and forward-looking bilateral partnership.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Trump signs 10% global tariffs after US Supreme Court setback

Donald Trump has signed a new 10% global tariff order after the US Supreme Court struck down much of his earlier sweeping import duties

Published

on

donald-trump

US President Donald Trump has signed a fresh executive order imposing a 10 per cent tariff on imports from countries around the world, just hours after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down much of his earlier sweeping import duties.

The new tariffs, which Trump said will take effect “almost immediately”, are being introduced under a law that limits such measures to 150 days. Describing the move as the beginning of an “adjustment process”, the President signalled that his administration would explore alternative routes to maintain revenue from import duties.

Trump criticises top court ruling

The Supreme Court’s 6-3 decision dealt a significant blow to a key part of Trump’s economic strategy. The ruling invalidated large portions of the administration’s previous tariff framework, prompting a sharp response from the President.

In posts on Truth Social, Trump said certain members of the court “should be ashamed of themselves” and termed the judgment “deeply disappointing”. He argued that the tariff mechanism used by his administration had been “acceptable and proper” and insisted that the new order was legally sound.

Trump also claimed that his use of tariffs over the past year had contributed to economic gains, citing milestones in the stock market. He said the Dow had crossed 50,000 and the S&P had reached 7,000, levels he argued were achieved sooner than expected following his election victory.

Tariffs central to Trump’s policy push

Tariffs have remained a central pillar of Trump’s economic and trade agenda. In April, he had announced “reciprocal” taxes of up to 50 per cent on imports from countries with which the United States runs trade deficits, along with a 10 per cent baseline tariff on most other nations.

He invoked a 1977 law to declare the trade deficit a national emergency, justifying broad import taxes. However, after global backlash, the administration paused the higher reciprocal tariffs for 90 days to allow for negotiations.

According to Trump, several countries agreed to revised trade terms during that period, while others faced steeper duties. He also reiterated claims that tariffs strengthened national security and helped curb fentanyl inflows by 30 per cent when used as penalties against certain countries.

“All of those tariffs remain,” Trump said, adding that other measures would now replace those struck down by the court.

The latest order underscores escalating tensions between the White House and the judiciary, as the administration seeks to preserve a cornerstone of its trade policy while navigating legal constraints.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com