English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

Taliban issues first Fatwa, bans co-education in Afghan Universities

Published

on

Taliban took full control of Afghanistan on Sunday. After taking the control, Taliban has now issued their first Fatwa in which they have banned the co-education government and private universities. They further described it as the root of all the evils in society.

The Taliban held a three-hour meeting between university lecturers, Taliban officials and the owners of private institutions. Taliban officials said that there is no way out and the justification for continuing co-education must be ended. They further said that the female lecturers will only be allowed to teach female students but not male students.

This Fatwa was issued soon after the Taliban held a press conference in which they said that they will respect women’s rights in Afghanistan. The Taliban also mentioned that women’s rights would be honoured within the rules of the Islamic Sharia law.

The educationist said that the government universities will not be as much affected by this decision but the private institution will struggle with this decision as they already have a low number of female students. According to reports, Afghanistan’s Herat has around 40,000 students and 2,000 lecturers in private and government universities and colleges.

Read Also: Israeli military air raids Gaza after violent protests along border, several injured

Some of the lecturers also mentioned that the private institution won’t be able to afford private classes, so there will be a high chance that women in large numbers will not be able to get higher education.

Talking about the evacuation, many people from Afghanistan have been evacuated and several countries are working on the evacuation mission. Countries like India are welcoming Afghani people as a refuge. However, it is reportedly said that tens of thousands of people remain to be evacuated ahead of the United State’s August 31 deadline to withdraw its troop from the country.

India News

China hits back with 34% retaliatory tariffs on US goods as trade war intensifies, files complaint in WTO

: China has imposed a 34% tariff on all US imports starting April 10 and introduced rare earth export restrictions. The move comes after the US announced harsh tariffs on Chinese goods.

Published

on

China US trade war

In a sharp escalation of the ongoing trade war between the world’s two largest economies, China on Friday announced a 34% retaliatory tariff on all goods imported from the United States, effective April 10. The move follows the US decision to impose similar steep tariffs on Chinese products earlier this week.

Beijing’s finance ministry confirmed that this additional tariff will be levied on top of the current applicable tariff rates already in place. The announcement marks another chapter in the worsening trade tensions between the two nations, with global economic ramifications.

Rare earth export curbs signal broader pushback

Alongside the tariffs, China’s Commerce Ministry unveiled export controls on seven rare earth elements, including gadolinium and yttrium, which are critical in medical imaging and consumer electronics. The restriction on these materials could impact industries heavily reliant on Chinese supply chains.

The move is widely seen as a strategic countermeasure, given China’s dominance in the global supply of rare earth minerals, which are vital to several high-tech sectors.

Legal battle looms at WTO

Further intensifying the standoff, China announced plans to file a lawsuit with the World Trade Organization (WTO) challenging the US-imposed tariffs. The complaint is aimed at defending China’s trade interests and international rights under WTO regulations.

Triggered by US tariff hike under Trump

This rapid escalation was sparked after US President Donald Trump imposed 10% tariffs on a wide range of imports and introduced additional duties of 34% specifically on Chinese goods. The new tariffs are part of a broader protectionist strategy, but they risk triggering a global trade disruption.

In response, Beijing has vowed to implement “countermeasures” to safeguard its economic interests. The tit-for-tat measures highlight the deteriorating trade relationship and could have lasting impacts on global markets and supply chains.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Val Kilmer, iconic star of Top Gun and Batman Forever, dies at 65

Hollywood actor Val Kilmer, best known for roles in Top Gun and Batman Forever, has died at 65 following a battle with pneumonia.

Published

on

Val Kilmer death, Top Gun Iceman, Batman Forever actor, Hollywood actor dies 2025, Val Kilmer career, Val Kilmer movies

Veteran Hollywood actor Val Kilmer, known for his powerful performances in blockbuster films like Top Gun, Batman Forever, The Doors, and Heat, passed away at the age of 65 in Los Angeles. His daughter, Mercedes, confirmed he died of pneumonia. Kilmer had previously battled throat cancer, diagnosed in 2014, and had undergone a tracheotomy that affected his voice and limited his screen appearances.

Remembering a multifaceted performer

Born Val Edward Kilmer on December 31, 1959, in Los Angeles, he was the youngest student ever admitted to the prestigious Juilliard School at age 17. Kilmer’s early work in comedies like Top Secret! and Real Genius quickly brought him into the limelight. His career skyrocketed with the role of Iceman in Top Gun (1986), starring opposite Tom Cruise.

Kilmer’s portrayal of Jim Morrison in The Doors (1991) earned acclaim for its intensity and authenticity. His role as Doc Holliday in Tombstone and as part of the ensemble cast in Michael Mann’s Heat further solidified his standing in Hollywood. In 1995, Kilmer stepped into the iconic cape and cowl as Batman in Batman Forever, following Michael Keaton.

Tributes pour in

Filmmaker Michael Mann paid homage, calling Kilmer’s talent “brilliant and variable” and said the news was “tremendously sad.” Actor Josh Brolin remembered him as “smart, brave and uber-creative,” while British actor David Thewlis called him “extraordinary” and a “friend.” Actor Will Kemp and others remembered Kilmer for his generosity and unique presence on set.

US actor Josh Gad credited Kilmer for shaping the films of his childhood, while James Woods lauded his unforgettable performance as Doc Holliday.

A legacy beyond the screen

Kilmer, who married actress Joanne Whalley in 1988 and had two children with her, was also a visual artist, drawing inspiration from his film characters. In 2021, he released Val, a deeply personal documentary composed of decades of personal video footage, showcasing the ups and downs of his career and life post-cancer.

Despite health setbacks, Kilmer made a memorable return to the screen in Top Gun: Maverick (2022), once again portraying Iceman. His brief but emotional appearance was praised by fans and co-star Tom Cruise alike.

Film critics and industry insiders agree: Kilmer was never just another leading man. With an unpredictable, often edgy screen persona, he brought depth and complexity to every role he played.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Iran puts missile defence on standby after Trump’s bombing comment

Published

on

By

US airstrikes in Yemen: 31 killed after Donald Trump launches large-scale strikes on Houthis

Iran’s armed forces have positioned missiles capable of hitting US-affiliated sites globally, the Tehran Times reported hours after US President Donald Trump threatened to “bomb” the country in response to nuclear negotiations with Tehran.

The report noted many of these missiles are housed in underground silos across Iran, engineered to withstand airstrikes.

On Sunday, Trump had told journalists that if Iran failed to meet US demands it would face unprecedented bombing. The bombing, Trump, said will be of a scale Iran has never seen before.

He also pointed towards reinstating secondary tariffs on Iran and its trade partners, suggesting that a decision would be made in the following weeks based on Tehran’s response.

The Tehran Times reported that Iran’s military is poised with missiles capable of striking US-related targets amid Trump’s ongoing threats of military intervention if an agreement on the nuclear programme isn’t reached. During his presidency, Trump withdrew from the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which had placed strict restrictions on Iran’s nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions relief. Trump reaffirmed that his administration remains open to talks, but emphasized that Iran must show its commitment to curtailing its nuclear endeavors.

In response to Trump’s remarks, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian addressed the issue through state media. He rejected the idea of direct negotiations with the US but acknowledged the possibility of continuing indirect discussions, facilitated by Oman.

“The supreme leader has also indicated that indirect negotiations can proceed. We do not shy away from negotiations; rather, their unreliability has caused issues for us. They must demonstrate their ability to create trust regarding their decisions, and I hope this will happen,” Pezeshkian was quoted as saying. In summary, tensions are escalating as Iran prepares its military capabilities in response to Trump’s threats, while diplomatic efforts continue on a potentially indirect basis.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com