English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Supreme Court raps Gujarat government over slow trial in rape case against Asaram Bapu

Published

on

Supreme Court raps Gujarat government over slow trial in rape case against Asaram Bapu

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Asaram has been in jail since August 31, 2013 for allegedly raping a 16-yearold schoolgirl and is facing prosecution under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act. He has also been accused of rape by two Surat-based sisters, a case that is pending trial in Gandhinagar

 Hours before a special CBI court sentenced Dera Sachha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim to serve 10 years in prison for allegedly raping two of his followers in 2002, the Supreme Court, on Monday, ticked off the Gujarat government for dragging its feet in the trial of another self-styled Godman – Asaram Bapu – in a rape case that dates back to 2013.

The apex court was hearing a bail plea moved by Asaram, who has been lodged in a jail in Jodhpur, Rajasthan since August 2013. The court, which has rejected several bail pleas moved by the Godman earlier, also questioned the Gujarat government on why the victim in the case had not yet been examined.

“Why is there a delay despite the earlier direction for expeditious trial? Why has the victim not been examined so far…she is the most crucial witness in this case”, a bench of Justices N V Ramana and Amitava Roy said. The Bench, which posted the matter for its next hearing after Diwali, also directed Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, who was appearing for the Gujarat government, to file a progress report in the case by the next date of hearing.

Mehta informed the Bench that two crucial witnesses in the case had been killed while one is missing and 17 others injured in different attacks. He said that the woman will be presented in the court for examination once the government can ensure her safety. The counsel also pointed out that 45 out of 92 material witnesses in the case had been examined so far.

Advocate Saurabh Ajay Gupta, who appeared for Asaram, said that the counsel of the accused have to prove the Godman’s defence for which examination of the victim is important as they will not be able to press for bail until this legal requirement is met with.

The victim’s lawyer, senior advocate Sanjay Hegde, sought speedy trial of the case and said that the court should issue a direction to examine his client beforeSeptember 23, which is the next date of hearing of the case before the trial court.

Asaram, who has been lodged in a jail in Jodhpur, Rajasthan since August 2013, is accused of raping a 16-year-old schoolgirl at his ashram earlier that year. The minor girl, a resident of Shahjahanpur in Uttar Pradesh, had claimed that she was raped by Asaram while staying in his ashram in Manai village near Jodhpur. Asaram faces prosecution under provisions of the stringent Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act of 2013 based on the girl’s complaint and has been in jail since filing of FIR in 2013.

The 76-year-old Godman is also accused in another case of rape registered in Gujarat which was filed by two Surat based sisters who had accused Asaram and his son Narayan Sai of sexually assault between 2001 and 2006 while they were staying at Asaram’s ashram in Surat. The trial in this case is pending in a court in Gandhinagar.

This is not the first time that the apex court has noted unnecessary delay in the case. On April 12, the court had asked a trial court in Gujarat to expedite the recording of evidence of prosecution in the cases filed by the Surat sisters.

The apex court, on November 18 last year, had also noted that the prosecution witnesses were being attacked and sought the response of the Centre and the five states on a plea seeking a CBI probe into the alleged murders and attacks on witnesses.

On January 30, the court while dismissing his bail plea had observed that a fake document had been submitted in the court to persuade them to grant him bail. The court had then ordered registration of an FIR against those responsible for preparing and filing the alleged fake papers.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

Lok Sabha passes Waqf Amendment Bill

Singh called the bill “illegitimate,” alleging it was designed to incite violence ahead of assembly elections in Bihar and West Bengal, purely to create controversy.

Published

on

After more than 12 hours of debate, the Lok Sabha on Wednesday passed the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025, by 288 votes in favour and 232 against.

The bill, introduced earlier in the day by Union Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju, aims to enhance the management of Waqf properties, leverage technology for transparency, and resolve administrative complexities, as recommended by a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC).

Rijiju hailed the JPC’s consultation process as the most extensive in India’s parliamentary history, noting that it received over 97.27 lakh petitions and memorandums through physical and online channels. “Each submission was carefully reviewed before finalizing the report,” he said, underscoring the thoroughness of the exercise.

However, the Bill’s passage was far from smooth. Union Home Minister Amit Shah robustly defended the legislation, accusing the Opposition of spreading “fear-mongering for vote-bank politics” by claiming it interferes with Muslims’ religious affairs and property rights.

“No land can be declared Waqf property by mere declaration. Lands belonging to the Archaeological Survey of India, governments, tribal communities, and private citizens will be safeguarded by this law. All Muslim communities—Shia, Pasmanda, Ahmadiya, Bohras—can register trusts without going through the Waqf route,” Shah clarified during the debate.

He dismissed Opposition allegations that laws like the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), the abrogation of Article 370, the Triple Talaq ban, and the Ram Mandir construction had stripped Muslims of citizenship, challenging critics to provide evidence. “Look at Jammu and Kashmir—Omar Abdullah is ruling as Chief Minister,” he pointed out, countering the narrative.

Shah also invoked RJD chief Lalu Yadav’s 2013 remarks, where Yadav had called for a strong law to curb thefts in the name of Waqf properties. “You couldn’t fulfill his wish, but Narendra Modi has. This bill will apply retrospectively,” Shah declared, asserting that the Modi government was pursuing a “politics of progress.” He confidently predicted, “Modi has been elected for three terms, and for the next three terms, it will be a BJP government.”

Speaking in the Lower House, Congress MP Gaurav Gogoi, the Deputy Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, accused the government of using the Bill to “weaken the Constitution, defame minorities, divide Indian society, and disenfranchise marginalized groups.”

He challenged Rijiju’s claim that the UPA government had transferred 123 properties to the Delhi Waqf Board before the 2014 elections, labeling it “a complete lie” and demanding proof. “Rijiju misled the House with political accusations,” Gogoi charged, also criticizing Speaker Om Birla for not intervening.

Rijiju retorted by asking Gogoi to specify which part of his statement was inaccurate. “Don’t make blanket accusations; point to the exact issue,” he urged. Gogoi doubled down, reiterating his objection to Rijiju’s 2013 references.

Congress MP KC Venugopal took a broader swipe, accusing the Centre of an “agenda to destroy minorities.” Without naming Prime Minister Narendra Modi, he warned, “Today you target Muslims, tomorrow Christians, and the day after, Sikhs. You are dividing the country for political gain in the name of religion, even as you project yourself as a world leader abroad. The world is watching.”

Samajwadi Party leader Akhilesh Yadav accused the BJP of introducing the Bill to distract from its past failures, questioning their commitment to women’s empowerment by asking how many female candidates they would field in the upcoming Uttar Pradesh elections. He cautioned that the bill threatened India’s secular fabric.

Speaking to reporters, Aam Aadmi Party leader Sanjay Singh and MLA Amanatullah Khan also voiced strong objections. Khan questioned Shah’s claims about the prime locations of 130 Waqf properties, hinting at a BJP plot to seize them, citing past encroachments on Muslim graveyards and buildings. Singh called the bill “illegitimate,” alleging it was designed to incite violence ahead of assembly elections in Bihar and West Bengal, purely to create controversy.

Continue Reading

India News

Bharat Shiksha Summit 2025 to explore future, evolving landscape of education on April 3

Published

on

By

Bharat Shiksha Summit 2025

The Bharat Shiksha Summit 2025 will be held on Thursday (April 3) in New Delhi’s Vigyan Bhawan. The theme of the Summit is Shaping The Future of Education. The event will see prominent leaders, educationists, legal practitioners, EdTech innovators and policymakers brainstorm on the future and evolving landscape of education in the country.

The inaugural session will have a keynote address by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla and speeches by Supreme Court judge Justice Rajesh Bindal, Supreme Court Senior Advocate Pradeep Rai, Balaji Foundation Chairperson Rajshri Rai and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) Chairman Prof. TG Sitharam.

The session on The Vision of National Education Policy will see a keynote address by Jammu & Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha and speeches by Uttar Pradesh Deputy CM and Minister for Medical Education Brajesh Pathak, Member of Parliament Naveen Jindal, Association of Indian Universities Secretary General Pankaj Mittal, Senior Advocate Pradeep Rai and Educationist Prof. Bhim Sen Singh.

Keeping in mind the Summit’s aims of exploring reforms, challenges, and future opportunities in the light of global educational advancements, the next session will be on Education, Culture & Contemporary Development. The session will have speeches by Goa Minister for Tourism, IT and Electronics and Communication Rohan Khaunte, historian Dr Vikram Sampath, Kucnow University Vice-Chancellor Prof. Alok Rai, National Law University Delhi Founder Prof. Ranbir Singh, Indira Gandhi Delhi Technical University for Women (IGDTUW) Vice-Chancellor Prof. Ranjana Jha, GTC Group Chairman RK Mahato, Balaji Foundation Chairperson Rajshri Rai, Educationist Prof. Bhim Sen Singh  and Poet-Author Aalok Shrivastav.

The subsequent session will be on Imagining Indian Education. The session will be addressed by Social Justice and Empowerment Minister of State BL Verma, Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying and Panchayati Raj Minister of State SP Singh Baghel, Rural Development Minister of State Kamlesh Paswan and Ambedkar University Delhi Vice-Chancellor Prof. Anu Singh Lather.

The following session, Education Without Borders, will be addressed by External Affairs Minister of State Kirti Vardhan Singh, Members of Parliament Rajiv Rai and Nishikant Dubey, SAARC University President Prof. KK Aggarwal, DY Patil International University Vice-Chancellor Prof. Prabhat Ranjan, Educationist Prof. Bhim Sen Singh, GGSIP University, New Delhi Dean and Professor Prof. Dhananjay Joshi.

The penultimate session will be focused on Legal Education and Training: Bridging Theory and Practice. Supreme Court judge Justice JK Maheshwari Attorney General of India R. Venkatramani, Senior Advocate Pradeep Rai, National Law Institute University, Bhopal Vice-Chancellor Prof. (Dr.) S. Surya Prakash and National Law University, Delhi Vice-Chancellor Prof GS Bajpai will speak on the many facets of legal education.

The final session, From Verses to Values: Nurturing National Identity Through Poetry & Culture, will have speeches by Members of Parliament Manoj Tiwari and Sudhanshu Trivedi, Janab Waseem Barelvi, Dr. Hariom Panwar, Gajendra Solanki, Poet-Author Dr. Anamika.

Continue Reading

India News

Abir Gulaal: Raj Thackeray-led MNS says it will oppose release of film for featuring Pakistan actor Fawad Khan

He referred to such films as “rotten mangoes” that continue to appear despite repeated warnings.

Published

on

The Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS), led by Raj Thackeray, said it will oppose the release of the upcoming film “Abir Gulaal,” which features Pakistani actor Fawad Khan.

Ameya Khopkar, the head of MNS’s cinema wing, expressed the party’s position through a post on the social media platform X, reiterating their stance against the release of films starring Pakistani actors in India. He referred to such films as “rotten mangoes” that continue to appear despite repeated warnings.

Khopkar stated, “Mansainiks have a duty to remove these films from circulation, and we will persist in our efforts. We will not permit ‘Abir Gulaal’ to be shown in Maharashtra. Those who wish to indulge Pakistani actors must be prepared to face us.”

“Abir Gulaal,” which also stars Vaani Kapoor, is scheduled to hit theaters on May 9. The film is directed by Aarti S. Bagdi, known for “Chalti Rahe Zindagi,” and produced by Indian Stories in collaboration with A Richer Lens and Aarjay Pictures. A teaser announcing the release date was launched by the film’s makers on April 1.

Fawad Khan and Vaani Kapoor are gearing up to mesmerize audiences with their forthcoming romantic comedy, Abir Gulaal. The teaser, recently unveiled, offers a glimpse into the story set against the charming backdrop of London. It narrates the tale of two individuals, each dealing with their own heartbreak, who serendipitously cross paths and embark on a journey of healing, ultimately discovering love in one another.

Khan, who recently returned to the screen with Barzakh, has expressed his sincere appreciation for the support and patience shown by his Indian fans during his time away from the limelight.

Directed by Aarti S. Bagdi, known for her work in Chalti Rahe Zindagi, Abir Gulaal is produced by Indian Stories in collaboration with A Richer Lens and Aarjay Pictures. The film’s production team includes several notable industry figures, such as Vivek B. Agrawal, who has previously worked on acclaimed films like Queen and Udta Punjab, alongside Avantika Hari and Rakesh Sippy.

The journey of Fawad Khan in the Indian film industry has been marked by various challenges. In 2016, he found himself at the center of a controversy when the Indian Motion Picture Producers Association enforced a ban on Pakistani artists following the Uri attacks. Tensions escalated when the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena threatened to obstruct the release of Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, leading to a public ultimatum for Pakistani artists to leave India.

Despite the tumultuous situation, the film ultimately received a clearance for release from the Central Board of Film Certification. In a recent development in October 2023, the Bombay High Court dismissed a petition that sought to prohibit Pakistani performers in India.

Throughout his career, Khan has also starred in projects such as Khoobsurat (2014) and Kapoor & Sons (2016). He has expanded his portfolio with international roles, including appearances in Ms. Marvel (2022) and The Legend of Maula Jatt (2022), which became Pakistan’s highest-grossing film.

Vaani Kapoor, recognized for her role in Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui (2021), is also set to feature in Netflix’s upcoming Mandala Murders and the new Bollywood film Badtameez Gill. Abir Gulaal is poised to make its worldwide debut on May 9, and it promises to be an enchanting cinematic experience.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com