English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest Politics News

Andhra Pradesh: BJP leaders detained over protests for renaming Jinnah Tower in Guntur

Not only the BJP but also the people demanded that the tower be renamed, state BJP president Somu Veerraju said. He also said that there was widespread support for the demand to remove Jinnah’s name and the tower be renamed after former APJ Abdul Kalam.

Published

on

jinnah tower

Several BJP leaders, including its national secretary Sunil Deodhar and workers have been detained by the Andhra Police over protest demanding to rename Jinnah Tower after former president APJ Abdul Kalaam.

After the party’s youth wing BJYM’s meeting, the BJP leaders and workers, who have been demanding to rename historic Jinnah Tower for the past few months, tried to take out a protest march to Jinnah Tower on Tuesday but the police stopped them and taken into custody.

The police, however, have detained the BJP workers and leaders including national secretaries Sunil Deodhar and Satya Kumar.

The Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy government has not paid any attention to the Andhra BJP leaders and worker’s demand to rename Jinnah Tower as APJ Abdul Kalaam Tower.

Read Also: Rahul Gandhi’s picture with UK MP Jeremy Corbyn in London sparks war of words between BJP and Congress, see tweets here

BJP Rajya Sabha member GVL Narasimha Rao condemned the behaviour of the police against his party leaders and their detention. In a tweet, he asked wondered if we are in Andhra Pradesh or Pakistan.

Not only their party but also the people demanded that the tower be renamed, state BJP president Somu Veerraju said. He also said that there was widespread support for the demand to remove Jinnah’s name and the tower be renamed after former APJ Abdul Kalam.

The state government cannot adopt an oppressive stance over our demand, Veerraju said.

Earlier in February, the tower was coloured in Indian tricolour which was unfurled after a month-long showdown between the BJP and the ruling YSRCP in Andhra Pradesh.

Jinnah Tower is a pre-independence era landmark monument in Guntur located at Mahatma Gandhi Road in the city. It was built in 1940 remembering the visit of Pakistan founder Mohammed Ali Jinnah.

Telangana: Row over Veer Savarkar’s portrait in museum? Congress urges state government to remove it

Sorry, sorry, sorry scribbled in red bold letters all over Bengaluru school, pictures circulate

India News

Navjot Kaur Sidhu says Rahul Gandhi disconnected from ground realities

Navjot Kaur Sidhu criticises Rahul Gandhi after exiting Congress, alleging corruption in the Punjab unit and predicting defeat in upcoming state elections.

Published

on

Rahul-Gandhi

Former Congress leader Navjot Kaur Sidhu has launched a sharp attack on Rahul Gandhi soon after her exit from the party, accusing him of being detached from ground realities and failing to address concerns within the Punjab unit.

Speaking to reporters in Coimbatore, Sidhu said that Gandhi, who serves as Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha, has not worked at the grassroots level and is unaware of what is happening within the party in Punjab. She stressed that understanding “ground zero” realities is crucial for leadership and said living in a “dream world” would not help the party.

Drawing a comparison with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Sidhu said that while Gandhi speaks well and “talks sense”, his actions do not align with his words. She claimed there is nothing personally against the Prime Minister and challenged critics to find evidence of wrongdoing against him.

Sidhu also alleged widespread corruption within the Punjab Congress leadership. She claimed she sought an appointment with Gandhi for eight months to inform him about what she described as “injustice” and internal damage to the party. According to her, party tickets had already been sold, and she warned that Congress is likely to lose the state polls next year if corrective measures are not taken.

In a direct message to Gandhi, she said that if he is unaware of developments within his own party, then he does not deserve the leadership position. She further alleged that corrupt individuals surround him while honest leaders are ignored.

Sidhu claimed that she and her family were promised key roles, including a deputy chief minister post with seven departments and a Member of Parliament position for her, but were ultimately given nothing.

Last week, Congress general secretary in charge of Punjab, Bhupesh Baghel, announced that Sidhu had been expelled from the party. The announcement followed her own declaration that she had quit.

The 62-year-old leader was earlier associated with the BJP and served as an MLA from 2012 to 2016 before joining Congress. Recently, she levelled serious allegations against Punjab Congress chief Amrinder Singh Raja Warring, claiming that ₹500 crore was being demanded in exchange for the Chief Minister’s post if the party wins the upcoming elections. She was suspended after making those remarks.

With Punjab heading towards elections next year, her allegations add to the turbulence within the state unit of the Congress.

Continue Reading

India News

Yogi Adityanath calls opposing Vande Mataram nothing short of treason

Yogi Adityanath says opposing Vande Mataram amounts to treason, accuses Opposition of disrespecting national symbols and misleading people in the name of the Constitution.

Published

on

Yogi Adityanath

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Monday said that opposing Vande Mataram or making derogatory remarks against national symbols was “nothing short of treason,” while accusing the Samajwadi Party and Congress of misleading people in the name of the Constitution.

Speaking in the Legislative Council during the Budget Session, the chief minister said that the National Song symbolises India’s pride and honour and was recognised by the Constituent Assembly on January 24, 1950. He stressed that every citizen has a duty to respect national symbols, including the Tricolour, the national anthem, the national song and national icons.

Adityanath said that opposing Vande Mataram amounted to an insult to the Constitution and its framers, including B. R. Ambedkar. He also thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for issuing a notification making the National Song mandatory at public functions, as the Centre marks 150 years of Vande Mataram.

Targets Opposition over conduct

Responding to the discussion on the Governor’s address, Adityanath alleged that members of the Opposition, particularly the Samajwadi Party, had shown “indecorous and inappropriate conduct,” which he said disrespected a constitutional office and a woman holding a high post.

He maintained that it was the responsibility of all legislators to uphold constitutional decorum and avoid behaviour that could send the wrong message to future generations.

Highlights development claims

The chief minister said that Uttar Pradesh had witnessed significant transformation over the past nine years, aligning with what he described as broader changes in the country over the last 11 years. He claimed that the state had moved from “policy paralysis and administrative instability” before 2017 to a model based on discipline, clear policy and decisive leadership.

Adityanath described Uttar Pradesh as a “Triveni of technology, trust and transportation” and said welfare schemes, employment initiatives and investment promotion had strengthened the state’s position as an investment destination.

He also asserted that since 2017, the state had not witnessed communal riots or curfews, contrasting it with the period before 2017, when, according to him, criminals enjoyed political patronage.

Referring to religious gatherings, he said over 66 crore devotees attended the Maha Kumbh last year, while more than 21 crore pilgrims took a dip at the Triveni during the current Magh Mela, attributing the turnout to improved arrangements and public trust.

“Na curfew, na danga – UP mein sab changa,” Adityanath said, asserting that the state had moved from what he described as a “fear zone” to a “faith zone.”

Continue Reading

India News

Rahul Gandhi faces expulsion demand in Lok Sabha over trade deal remarks

BJP MP Nishikant Dubey has moved a notice seeking Rahul Gandhi’s expulsion from the Lok Sabha. Here is how the disqualification and expulsion process works.

Published

on

Rahul Gandhi

Nishikant Dubey, a Member of Parliament from the Bharatiya Janata Party, has sought the expulsion of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi from the Lok Sabha. Dubey has submitted a notice calling for a substantive motion against Gandhi over his remarks concerning the India–US trade deal.

The BJP MP has demanded cancellation of Gandhi’s Lok Sabha membership and has also called for a lifetime ban on him from contesting elections. The development has raised questions about the procedure for removing a sitting Member of Parliament from the House.

How can a Lok Sabha MP be expelled

The process for expelling a Member of Parliament involves several procedural steps within the House:

Submission of complaint
The process begins when a member or political party files a formal complaint against a sitting MP.

Reference to committee
The Lok Sabha Speaker may refer the matter to the Committee of Privileges for examination. The committee is tasked with conducting a detailed inquiry into the allegations.

Investigation and findings
The committee can examine evidence, call witnesses, and allow the concerned MP to present a defence. After completing its review, it submits a report outlining its findings and recommendations.

Consideration by the House
The committee’s report is tabled in the Lok Sabha. If it recommends expulsion, a motion is moved in the House to adopt the recommendation.

Voting on expulsion
For the motion to pass, it must secure a majority of members present and voting. If approved, the MP stands expelled from the House.

Rahul Gandhi’s disqualification in 2023

In 2023, a court in Surat sentenced Rahul Gandhi to two years in prison in a criminal defamation case related to a remark about the “Modi surname”. Under Section 8(3) of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, any MP convicted and sentenced to two years or more faces automatic disqualification from Parliament.

Following the conviction, Gandhi was disqualified as a Member of Parliament. However, he later challenged the verdict in the Supreme Court of India, which stayed his conviction. After the stay order, his Lok Sabha membership was restored and he resumed his role as an MP.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com