India News
Doklam standoff: a toning down of rhetoric?
Published
9 years agoon
By
By Rajesh Sinha
After over a month of regular, aggressive statements from China on the standoff between Indian and Chinese armies at Doklam on India-Bhutan-China trijunction, there was a little toning down of rhetoric on Thursday.
While External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said India was ready to talk to China provided the armies withdrew to their original positions, China said that diplomatic channels with India remained “unimpeded” to discuss the military standoff in Sikkim sector. It, too, insisted on withdrawal of the Indian troops as a “precondition” for any meaningful dialogue.
“Our diplomatic channel is unimpeded,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang told reporters, confirming talks between Indian and Chinese missions to resolve the standoff, according to a PTI report. Lu, however, reiterated that “the withdrawal of the Indian border personnel is the precondition for any meaningful dialogue and communication between the two countries”.
Even before this came a widely circulating WeChat post, denouncing war as an option to resolve the border crisis with India. Posted in the WeChat blog, International military focus, on July 14, the detailed write-up is titled, “Important Inside story: How many people know the truth about Doklam conflict?” WeChat is a popular Chinese instant messaging website with an estimated 938 million users.
The article argues that China must avoid war, but insist on Indian troop withdrawal from Doklam by other means.
In New Delhi, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said the matter can be resolved through talks. “We are willing to talk, but both sides have to first take back their armies,” she told the Rajya Sabha. The minister said the boundaries between India and China are yet to be finalised and the two countries will do that bilaterally through discussions, while the same between China and Bhutan too will be done through bilateral talks. She accused China of building roads using bulldozers and excavators, which has been protested by Bhutan in writing to China.
The External Affairs Ministry spokesperson, Gopal Bagley, addressing a press conference on Thursday, said that differences between India and China over the Doka La issue should not turn into a dispute.
He confirmed that National Security Advisor Ajit Doval will visit Beijing for the BRICS summit on 27-28 July but refused to divulge more details. However, Bagley reiterated that India was consistent on its stand to keep all the diplomatic channels open to find a resolution.
He maintained that India would like the nature of the trilateral relations between India, China and Bhutan to be restored as before. Adding to it, he mentioned that previously Bhutan had also asked China to maintain the status quo in the region.
Speaking in Rajya Sabha, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj accused China of trying to change the status quo in the region on Thursday. She said that while China was saying that India should withdraw its troops from Doka La for negotiations to begin, “we are saying that if a dialogue is to be held, then both should withdraw (their troops)”.
She said that India was not doing anything unreasonable and maintained that foreign countries were supporting India’s stand.
“Foreign countries are with us. They feel that China is being aggressive with a small country like Bhutan. Bhutan has protested, including in writing. All the countries feel India’s stand is right and the law is with us,” Sushma Swaraj said.
She added that in the past China had tried to repair roads, re-tar them but on 16 June, they came with bulldozers and construction equipment with the aim of breaching security in the region where the tri-junction point ends.
“India is very concerned and cautious about its security and no one can surround it. It is also wrong to say that India is threatened,” she added. All countries are with India and they understand that the stand we have taken is not wrong at all, Swaraj said.
Swaraj said that India was capable of defending itself. Swaraj said that India is ready for a dialogue with the neighbouring country. “We are willing to talk but both sides should take back their army to original positions. If China unilaterally changes status-quo of tri-junction point between China-India and Bhutan, then it poses a challenge to our security,” the EAM added.
Responding to a question on India-China ties, Swaraj said, “It’s wrong to say that China is encircling India in the Indian Ocean Region. India is vigilant of its security interests, and no one can encircle it.” Swaraj said that India’s stand on South China has been very clear. She said that India maintains that free and uninterrupted passage for commercial vessels should be maintained in the region and any disputes should be resolved with mutual cooperation.
Swaraj also informed MPs in Rajya Sabha that Sikkim standoff is only about “just demands” from the Indian side.
Chinese and Indian soldiers have been locked in a face-off for over a month after Indian troops stopped the Chinese army from constructing a road near the Doklam plateau, fearing it may allow China to cut India’s access to its north eastern states. India has conveyed to China that the construction of the road would represent a significant change of status quo with serious security implications for New Delhi. India and China share a 220-km-long border in Sikkim. Lu claimed that the incident makes it clear that “Indian border personnel illegally trespassed into China’s territory.”
The issue is expected to figure prominently when India’s NSA Ajit Doval goes to Beijing for the meeting of NSAs from BRICS – Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa – countries from July 26-27. Chinese officials say while there may not be a formal meeting between Doval and his Chinese counterpart Yang Jiechi,there can be informal talks between the two officials, who are also the Special Representatives of their countries for the border talks.
Both countries have so far held 19 rounds of talks. Earlier July, China had refused to acknowledge that Chinese President Xi Jinping even met Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the G 20 Summit in Hamburg, Germany, as the standoff continued. India’s Ministry of External Affairs, however, said that the two leaders met and discussed a “range of issues”.
India has been stressing that it is working the diplomatic channels to lower the tensions with the neighbouring country. Beijing, on the other hand, had warned of serious consequences if India does not pull back its soldiers from the Sikkim region.
Statements about diplomatic channels being open indicate a climbdown from threats of military action by China. Coinciding with this, in contrast to Chinese write-ups and web-postings exhorting Beijing to adopt a more muscular approach in Doklam, was the post on WeChat blog, International military focus, titled, “Important Inside story: How many people know the truth about Doklam conflict?”
The article argues that China must avoid war, but insist on Indian troop withdrawal from Doklam by other means. The blog in Chinese addresses agitated netizens as its prime audience, on why war is not an option, despite finding fault with India for triggering the crisis in the Sikkim section of the China-India frontier.
The article points out that China is not prepared for a war in the area of the face-off, on account of several non-military and military factors. It described India’s alleged cross border incursion in Doklam as “illegal entry” and not an “illegal invasion,” which has an altogether different implication under international law.
“To many people, illegal entry of people equals war because they cannot distinguish entry from invasion. They are two totally different notions. Illegal invasion is entering the border of another country by force and without permission of that country, but illegal entry is non-violent. It (the movement of Indian troops) can only be called border crossing. So far it looks like illegal border crossing, though the next level is unknown.”
The blog highlights India’s terrain advantage as well as superior fire power in the Yadong area of the Chumbi valley, which can become a battlefield in the standoff area and says China is not prepared for a war in the area of the face-off, on account of several non-military and military factors.
It does go on to say that instead of open-conflict, as one of the options, China can enter a border section, where it has an advantage, and pitch the ball in India’s court. “For the first time India crossed the defined border and entered Chinese territory, for Doklam is clearly Chinese territory. So, in accordance with Chinese wisdom, we can find a border section where we have an advantage and enter their territory and see how they react.”
You may like
-
US Senate passes Russia sanctions bill, India-China face 100% tariff risk
-
Trump orders US to test nuclear weapons, cites Russia, China, N Korea, Pakistan are at it
-
Ex-US officials urge Trump to recalibrate tariff policy, highlight India’s strategic role
-
Trump adviser criticises PM Modi’s meeting with Putin and Xi at SCO Summit
-
UN seeks China’s role in stabilising global order amid US tariff tensions
-
Trump praises China’s grip on rare earth magnets, warns of 200% tariffs if supply halted
India News
MK Stalin announces major DMK organisational Changes in Tamil Nadu
MK Stalin has announced a major DMK organisational overhaul, introducing age and term limits and expanding party districts from 77 to 110.
Published
1 day agoon
August 22, 2026By
APNLive Desk
DMK chief MK Stalin has announced a major overhaul of the party’s organisational structure, months after the party lost the Tamil Nadu assembly election.
Acknowledging the defeat, Stalin said the party must openly recognise its mistakes. He also pointed to the functioning of party office-bearers as one of the factors behind the electoral loss.
“Although there are several reasons for our defeat, the functioning of our party office-bearers is also one of them,” Stalin said, stressing that the party must acknowledge its shortcomings and ensure better performance at every level.
Stalin also described the DMK as a “specialist” in making comebacks and said the party would return stronger.
Age and term limits for party posts
Among the major changes announced by Stalin are age and tenure limits for party positions.
Stalin said the changes would involve a significant restructuring of the DMK’s administrative system, with priority being given to new faces. He said the measures were intended to make the party sustainable for the next 100 years and help restore the trust of young people and women.
Under the new rules, branch secretaries must be aged 45 or below and can hold the position for a maximum of two terms.
District secretaries, meanwhile, must be below 70 years of age and can serve for a maximum of three terms.
DMK to increase party districts from 77 to 110
The DMK executive committee has approved increasing the number of party districts from 77 to 110.
The expansion will be implemented as part of the party’s 16th organisational elections. Revenue districts will generally be reorganised so that each party district covers two assembly constituencies.
Where only one constituency remains after the reorganisation, it will be attached to another suitable party district within the same revenue district as a third constituency.
Stalin has been authorised to determine and announce the constituencies that will form the 110 party districts.
New branch structure planned in urban areas
The DMK will also introduce a new branch-level structure in urban areas, along with the post of branch secretary.
The new system will initially be implemented in Chennai, Coimbatore, Madurai, Tiruchirappalli and Salem. It may subsequently be extended to other corporations.
Once the new party districts are announced, district executive committees will have to meet and establish the union, city, area, town, ward and branch-level units within 15 days.
The organisational changes come as the DMK seeks to restructure its party machinery and prepare for its political comeback following its assembly election defeat.
India News
PM Modi says India’s political stability makes India a bright spot for growth
PM Modi said India’s political stability and policy continuity are helping make the country a bright spot of growth amid global concerns.
Published
2 days agoon
August 22, 2026By
APNLive Desk
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday said India has political stability and continuity in its policies, describing the country as a bright spot of growth and hope amid global concerns over economic growth.
Addressing the Economic Times World Leaders Forum, PM Modi said India is continuing to push reforms across sectors to maintain its growth momentum. He said reforms remain a key commitment of his government.
The Prime Minister said the NDA government has a clear roadmap for reforms, with a strong focus on governance. He also said the government is using incentives to encourage higher production.
PM Modi highlights shift in regulatory approach
PM Modi said his government is changing the country’s regulatory framework and moving away from what he described as a “prohibited-unless-permitted” approach.
He said the government believes there should be no regulation for an activity that has not been explicitly prohibited under law. According to him, the aim is to bring next-generation reforms at the policy and governance levels while improving ease of living.
He also contrasted the current Production Linked Incentive (PLI) model with what he described as a “Production Linked Punishment” approach followed by previous governments.
Focus on infrastructure and manufacturing
PM Modi cited changes in areas including the Indian Railways, Delhi Metro and Namo Rapid Rail as examples of reforms reflecting India’s changing needs.
He also said the government has changed the approach towards border infrastructure, which he described as a strength rather than a weakness.
The Prime Minister further highlighted India’s affordable data services and domestic mobile-phone manufacturing while discussing the country’s economic transformation.
India seen as a growth bright spot
PM Modi said the world is facing several concerns related to growth, including the weaponisation of resources, but India is being viewed as a bright spot of growth.
He said India’s political stability, policy continuity and reform efforts are helping sustain the country’s growth momentum.
India News
Jharkhand students, JMM workers clash over Hemant Soren effigy burning
Clashes broke out in Ranchi, Hazaribag and Giridih as protesting students attempted to burn effigies of Hemant Soren and Rahul Gandhi.
Published
2 days agoon
August 22, 2026By
APNLive Desk
Clashes broke out between protesting students and police in Ranchi and several other parts of Jharkhand on Friday evening as students attempted to burn effigies of Chief Minister Hemant Soren and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, officials said.
Similar incidents were reported in Hazaribag and Giridih, where workers of the ruling Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) clashed with students who were trying to burn effigies of Soren.
The protesting students are affiliated with the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch. They have accused the Jharkhand government of deceiving and betraying job aspirants following the High Court’s intervention in cases concerning recruitment examinations and appointments.
In Ranchi, a large number of students gathered at Albert Chowk to burn the effigies. Police said a scuffle broke out when they tried to control the situation.
Ranchi DSP KV Raman said the protesters changed the designated route of their march and went towards the JPSC office, where traffic was brought to a halt.
According to Raman, police repeatedly asked the protesters to follow the designated route for the march and effigy burning, but the students did not comply.
Student leaders, however, alleged that police and JMM workers attempted to prevent them from holding a peaceful march.
“They cannot stop us from holding peaceful and democratic protests,” JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch leader Ravindra Paswan said.
Another student leader, Piyush Kumar Singh, alleged that a core committee member of the Manch, Kunal, was detained by police. He claimed that Kunal fainted and was subsequently taken to Sadar Hospital.
The protesters also alleged that female participants were assaulted by JMM workers during the scuffle.
Why are Jharkhand students protesting?
The students had earlier called off their agitation after the Hemant Soren government decided to cancel JPSC examinations where irregularities had been alleged.
However, the Jharkhand High Court subsequently intervened in several matters related to the recruitment process.
On Friday, the court stayed notifications cancelling the appointments of Child Development Project Officers (CDPOs) and those recruited through the JSSC-CGL examination.
A day earlier, the court had stayed notifications cancelling the 11th and 13th JPSC examinations. It had also stayed the order cancelling the appointments of food safety officers.
The developments have renewed the students’ concerns over the government’s handling of recruitment-related cases.
JLKM announces recruitment reforms yatra
Meanwhile, JLKM leader Devendra Nath Mahto announced that his party would launch a ‘Recruitment System Reforms Yatra’ from August 24.
Mahto alleged that the Jharkhand government was not strongly defending cases concerning the cancellation of several recruitment examinations before the High Court.
He warned that if the government failed to effectively present its case before the Jharkhand High Court on September 15, when the matters are scheduled for hearing, they would plan to gherao the Chief Minister’s residence.
Vivo V80 Lite with 10,000mAh battery set for global launch on September 3
MK Stalin announces major DMK organisational Changes in Tamil Nadu
PM Modi says India’s political stability makes India a bright spot for growth
India calls US religious freedom body biased over RSS sanctions demand
