English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Jaitley sat with Mallya for 15-20 minutes, check CCTV, says Congress after FM denied a meeting

Published

on

Jaitley sat with Mallya for 15-20 minutes, check CCTV, says Congress after FM denied a meeting

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]In an outright rejection of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley’s assertion of having met the fugitive millionaire Vijay Mallya, the Congress on Thursday, September 13, said the two had a meeting and discussion in Parliament just two days before the latter’s flight to UK and challenged the government to check the CCTV footage to check the truth.

The allegation, levelled by Congress leader PL Punia, was taken up by Congress president Rahul Gandhi. Speaking to journalists, Rahul, flanked by Punia, said, “Arun Jaitley is lying, Congress leader PL Puniya witnessed his meeting with Vijay Mallya,”

A day earlier, the FM had rubbished Vijay Mallya’s claim that he had met him before leaving for London in 2016.

“It was a 15-20 minute, sit-down meeting…The finance minister has to explain to the country why he has colluded with the criminal and why was he having a meeting with a criminal, what was discussed?” Rahul Gandhi said.

PL Puniya said he had seen Mallya and finance minister Jaitley speak in the Central Hall of parliament in March 2016, days before the liquor baron left India and flew to the UK amid attempts to recover over Rs. 9,000 crore in unpaid loans from him.

“I was in the central hall of Parliament House. I saw Jaitley and Mallya standing and talking in the corner. After 5-7 minutes, they sat on the bench and started talking. Mallya had come for the first time just to meet Jaitley,”Puniya said. “It is my challenge. You can look at CCTV footage and see if I am wrong. If I am wrong, I will resign,” he declared.

“After that on March 3 – heleft for London on March 2 – myreaction was: he met Jaitley two days ago,” said Punia.

Mallya, 62, flamboyant liquor baron and former parliamentarian, is being investigated for fraud and money-laundering. In the UK for the past two years, he has been fighting India’s attempts to bring him back to face trial.

Asked whether he was tipped off about the investigations, Mallya told reporters yesterday outside a UK court hearing a case on his extradition to India: “I left because I had a scheduled meeting in Geneva. I met the finance minister before I left, repeated my offer to settle with the banks. That is the truth.”

Mallya said he had also told the minister that he was leaving for London.

Arun Jaitley, who was the finance minister in 2016 when Mallya left India, emphatically denied his claims. “Since 2014, I have never given him any appointment to meet me and the question of his having met me does not arise,” he wrote on Facebook.

“He misused that privilege (of being an MP) on one occasion while I was walking out of the House to go to my room. He paced up to catch up with me and while walking uttered a sentence that ‘I am making an offer of settlement’ …Having been fully briefed about his earlier ‘bluff offers’, without allowing him to proceed with the conversation, I curtly told him ‘there was no point talking to me and he must make offers to his bankers’,” Jaitley said.

Speaking to news agency ANI, Jaitley said: “I have never given him an appointment. Never at my office, never at my residence. Nor have I ever offered to meet him. I do remember on one occasion he misused his privileges as member of Rajya Sabha and while I was walking out of Rajya Sabha to my room, he paced up towards me in Parliament building and suggested that he was going to make some offer of settlement. I did not even bother to get any detail from him. I curtly told him he must go and make it to the bankers because I was fully aware that he had been bluffing on several occasions in the past and he had no intention of paying back the banker’s money.”

“Besides this one-sentence exchange where he literally barged on to me while I was walking and tried to make some offer or suggestion which I refused to entertain, there is no question of my having met him, spoken to him… I even did not receive any paper from him at that time. And therefore, to convey an impression that he met me with an offer of settlement and if this is what he is referring to then this is not correct and he must come out with the complete facts,” Jaitley said.

Accusing Jaitley of colluding with fugitive business tycoon Vijay Mallya, Rahul Gandhi said, “He (Jaitley) had not informed ED, CBI. What does it mean? He has to explain why when a criminal has told him he is running away to London, he has done nothing.”

“The finance minister talks to an absconder. He tells the minister I am going to London and the finance minister didn’t even tell the CBI or police. Why not,” Rahul Gandhi said.

He also referred to questions swirling around the dilution of a lookout notice against Mallya by the CBI. “Who changed the notice on Mallya’s arrest? If Jaitley has done it himself, then he should confess. It’s an open and shut case.”

Demanding that Jaitley resign, Gandhi said: “Finance Minister is responsible to take action against economic offenders. Finance minister himself is meeting them. Finance minister has admitted that Mallya told him he is going to London. Yet the Finance Minister took no action. Did not inform CBI, ED or other arms of the govt. Why? What was the deal? There is a notice to restrain Mr Mallya. That notice is changed from a restrain notice to an inform notice. Who did it? There are only two people – Prime Minister and Finance Minister,” he alleged.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text css=”.vc_custom_1536840837985{border-top-width: 10px !important;border-right-width: 10px !important;border-bottom-width: 10px !important;border-left-width: 10px !important;padding-top: 10px !important;padding-right: 10px !important;padding-bottom: 10px !important;padding-left: 10px !important;background-color: #b5b5b5 !important;border-radius: 10px !important;}”]Not just the Congress and other Opposition parties, BJP’s Subramanian Swamy also unleashed an attack on the finance minister.

Swamy retweeted his own old tweet from 12 June 2018:

He went on tweet on Wednesday:

He further added:

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]On Wednesday, Rahul Gandhi had demanded an immediate investigation into the “extremely serious” allegations and Jaitley’s resignation.

“Given Vijay Mallya’s extremely serious allegations in London today, the PM should immediately order an independent probe into the matter. Arun Jaitley should step down as Finance Minister while this probe is underway,” Gandhi tweeted.

Party spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said that for the past 18 months, the Congress had been asserting that not only Mallya, but Mehul Choksi and so many others had been allowed to leave the country with impunity. And despite the hullabaloo to bring them back, the Narendra Modi government had failed to do so.

Congress media in-charge RandeepSurjewala in a tweet said that Mallya’s “consultation meetings” with the “Fiscal Management Blog Minister” makes it clear that the BJP is running “tour travels and immigration” for “loot scoot and settle abroad” brigade.

The Congress, which has since March 2016 consistently held that Mallya met the finance minister a day before he fled the country, said on Wednesday that the government’s complicity in facilitating the escape had now been established.

Within minutes of the revelation by Mallya, Congress communications chief RandeepSurjewala: “Vijay Mallya met Arun Jaitley, sought his permission and ran away with India’s money. Chowkidar nahin, bhagidarhai (Not a custodian, a partner).”

Rahul had first aimed the “chowkidar nahin, bhagidarhai” barb at Modi in Parliament, bringing up his promise to voters in 2014 that he would guard over India’s wealth and alleging that he had turned a partner in corruption instead.

On Tuesday, the Congress released the Modi government’s reply in Parliament that said the Prime Minister’s Office was aware of complaints against Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi in 2016, long before the uncle and nephew fled the country.

The Congress has been alleging a Mallya-Jaitley meeting since March 2016, the month the liquor baron escaped.

On March 14, 2016, Surjewala had told a news conference that Mallya had met Jaitley before he fled. Surjewala had said: “Mallya was present in Parliament on March 1, 2016, where he reportedly met finance minister Jaitley and had a conversation with him. We all know what happened then, while CBI, banks, SFIOs, SEBI, IT, Service Tax, etc were looking for him, yet he left on March 2.”

Surjewala had further said: “People now understand the reason for converting a CBI look-out notice of detention to information only.”

Several Congress spokespersons repeated the charge over the last two years.

CPI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury said Mallya’s revelation puts the Modi government in the dock. This only reconfirms how the government enabled big defaulters to loot public money and scoot.

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal too questioned that the Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his ministers need to explain their meetings with the economic fugitives. “PM Modi meets Nirav Modi before he flees the country. Finance Minister Vijay Mallya before he flees India. What transpired in these meetings? People want to know,” he said.

Not only Finance Minister, the entire BJP must come clean on its relations with Vijay Mallya, BJP rebel Yashwant Sinha said. Mallya was elected to Rajya Sabha with support of BJP.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

RSS not seeking political power, focused on uniting Hindu society, says Mohan Bhagwat

RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat said the organisation is not seeking political power but is focused on uniting Hindu society and promoting character-building during an interaction with athletes in Meerut.

Published

on

Mohan Bhagwat

Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat on Friday said the organisation is not driven by any ambition for political power and is instead dedicated to uniting Hindu society and building individual character.

He made the remarks while interacting with nearly 950 national and international sportspersons at Madhav Kunj in Shatabdi Nagar, Meerut, as part of the RSS centenary outreach initiatives. According to participants present at the event, Bhagwat spoke for about 50 minutes and stressed the importance of social harmony and collective responsibility in nation-building.

Quoting Bhagwat, a participant said the RSS’ “sole objective is the organisation of the entire Hindu society and character-building of individuals,” adding that the organisation does not function in opposition to or competition with any specific group.

Emphasis on unity and cultural roots

Explaining his idea of India, Bhagwat said the nation goes beyond geographical boundaries and draws inspiration from figures such as Lord Ram, Lord Krishna, Lord Buddha, Lord Mahavira, Swami Vivekananda, Swami Dayanand and Mahatma Gandhi, participants said.

He reportedly stated that the term “Hindu” reflects unity in diversity rather than caste identity. Differences in modes of worship and deities, he said, do not weaken society as long as cultural harmony is preserved. He added that whenever social unity declined, the country faced crises.

The RSS chief outlined four foundational pillars of society — value inculcation, Sanatan culture, the spirit of dharma and adherence to truth — reiterating that the Sangh’s mission centres on strengthening society through individual development. Volunteers, he said, are active across various spheres of social life and prioritise national interest.

Sports as a tool for nation-building

Addressing the athletes, Bhagwat described sports as a powerful medium for bringing people together. He said nation-building is not the responsibility of any single organisation but of society as a whole.

Referring to Meerut’s historic role in the First War of Independence in 1857, he said the legacy later inspired Keshav Baliram Hedgewar to establish the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh in 1925.

Bhagwat also shared five guiding principles for those interested in associating with the RSS — understanding the organisation from within, engaging with its affiliated bodies, supporting its programmes, maintaining dialogue and working selflessly for the nation. He also answered questions from athletes during the session.

Outreach events in Uttar Pradesh

Bhagwat is currently on a tour of Uttar Pradesh. Earlier, he attended a two-day outreach event in Lucknow on February 17 and 18 and had also visited Gorakhpur. During his stay in Lucknow, he briefly met Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, while both deputy chief ministers called on him before he left for Meerut.

Arjuna Award-winning wrestler Alka Tomar described the programme as grand and praised the organisational efforts of RSS volunteers. She said sportspersons must contribute to nation-building and appreciated Bhagwat’s emphasis on working in the national interest.

Para Cricket Club of India player Surya Pratap Mishra of Bareilly, selected for a Sri Lanka tour, said Bhagwat assured support for para athletes to help them enhance the country’s pride. Kabaddi coach Pintu Malik from Shukratal in Muzaffarnagar termed the interaction inspiring, especially the message that players should support one another.

Bhagwat reached Meerut on Thursday night and held breakfast discussions on Friday with representatives from the sports and industry sectors. On Saturday, he is scheduled to interact with members of the intelligentsia, including representatives from education, industry, medicine, literature, art and trade. Entry to the event is restricted to invitees with passes issued by the RSS headquarters.

Continue Reading

India News

BJP MLA Vungzagin Valte dies after prolonged battle with injuries from Manipur violence

Manipur BJP MLA Vungzagin Valte has died in Gurugram nearly two years after suffering severe injuries in the 2023 ethnic violence in Imphal.

Published

on

BJP MLA (1)

Manipur BJP MLA Vungzagin Valte, who had been battling severe injuries sustained during the outbreak of ethnic violence in May 2023, died at a hospital in Haryana’s Gurugram on Thursday.

Valte, a representative from the Thanlon assembly constituency in Churachandpur district, was attacked in Imphal when tensions between Meitei and Kuki-Zomi communities escalated into widespread clashes. The assault left him with critical head injuries that significantly affected his mobility and speech.

Long medical struggle after 2023 attack

Following the attack on May 4, 2023, Valte was admitted to a hospital in Delhi, where he spent several months in intensive care. According to his family, he suffered debilitating head trauma that left him wheelchair-bound and dependent on assistance for routine physical movements.

Despite prolonged treatment in the national capital for nearly two years, his health remained fragile. He later returned to Manipur, but complications linked to the injuries persisted.

Earlier this month, Valte complained of breathlessness and chest pain, prompting doctors to stabilise him in intensive care before he was flown to Delhi in an air ambulance on February 8. His condition had reportedly shown slight improvement before the transfer.

Family alleges role of Arambai Tenggol

Valte’s family had alleged that members of the Meitei group Arambai Tenggol were responsible for the attack in 2023. His son, David Mang Valte, had earlier stated that the MLA was assaulted while returning after meeting the then Chief Minister amid the communal crisis involving Kuki, Meitei and Zomi communities.

Valte belonged to the Zomi tribe and was serving as a BJP legislator from Thanlon at the time of his death.

Condolences pour in

Several political leaders expressed grief over his passing. Two-time MLA T Robindro Singh said his last meeting with Valte at Imphal Airport before he was airlifted for advanced treatment remains “deeply emotional and unforgettable.” He described Valte as a kind-hearted and humble leader who was always concerned about the welfare of the people.

Valte’s death marks the end of a prolonged and painful chapter that began with the outbreak of ethnic unrest in Manipur in 2023.

Continue Reading

India News

Amit Shah launches Rs 6,900 crore Vibrant Village Programme-II in Assam

Amit Shah has launched the Rs 6,900 crore Vibrant Village Programme-II in Assam to develop 140 villages along the Bangladesh border with improved infrastructure and employment opportunities.

Published

on

Amit Shah

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Thursday launched the second phase of the Vibrant Village Programme in Assam, announcing a Rs 6,900-crore investment aimed at strengthening development in border areas.

The initiative seeks to transform 140 villages along the Bangladesh border in Assam into centres of modern education, employment and infrastructure. Shah formally inaugurated the programme at Natanpur village in the Barak Valley region of the state.

Focus on education, jobs and infrastructure

Addressing the gathering, Shah said the programme would ensure that border villages receive facilities on par with other parts of the country. He credited Prime Minister Narendra Modi for prioritising development in these regions.

“Today, we are officially beginning the Vibrant Village Programme-II, and through this, we will bring development to bordering villages and facilities like any other place across the country. This has been possible because of Prime Minister Narendra Modi,” Shah said.

He added that Natanpur would not be known merely for its proximity to the border but for excelling in education, employment generation, road connectivity, telecommunications and electricity.

Coverage across 17 states

According to Shah, the Centre has earmarked Rs 6,900 crore under Vibrant Village Programme-II to develop 334 blocks and 1,954 villages across 17 states.

In Assam alone, nine districts, 26 blocks and 140 villages have been identified under the scheme. Shah said all amenities in these villages would match those available in other villages across India.

“There was a time when border villages were called the last villages and lacked many amenities, but Prime Minister Narendra Modi decided that all border villages will be the first villages. Now these villages will be first in road, sanitation, drinking water, communications, employment and education,” he said.

The programme aims to strengthen infrastructure and socio-economic conditions in border areas, particularly those along the Bangladesh frontier in Assam.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com