English हिन्दी
Connect with us

India News

Sushma Swaraj gets trolled for passports issued to inter-faith couple

Published

on

Sushma Swaraj gets trolled for passports issued to inter-faith couple

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was on Sunday trolled and abused on Twitter over a controversy involving the issuance of passport to an inter-faith couple.

Swaraj, however, took it in her stride, her offcial handle re-tweeting some abusive comments.

“I was out of India from 17th to 23rd June 2018. I do not know what happened in my absence. However, I am honoured with some tweets. I am sharing them with you. So I have liked them,” Swaraj said.

The foreign minister had been on an official trip to Italy, France, Luxembourg, Belgium and the European Union.

Last week, a Passport Seva Kendra official, Vikas Mishra, in Lucknow was transferred after the inter-faith couple alleged that he humiliated them when they went to the office with their passport applications.

According to the couple, they faced harassment at the local passport office and the woman was asked to change her name and religion. Married in 2007, Tanvi Seth and Anas Sidiqui have a 7-year-old daughter.

Sidiqui said the officer “asked me to change my name, my religion… He said one of us has to change our name or religion.”

The next day, passports were issued to the couple and they thanked Swaraj and her Ministry. Mishra was transferred. He, on his part, claimed he refused to issue passport since the woman’s name was different in the ‘nikahnama’.

Mishra had said in his defence that he was secular and had told the woman that her ‘nikahnama’ showed her name as Shazia Anas, which should be endorsed in her file.

“For this she refused. If she had consented… we would have sent it to the ‘A’ section for data modification. We have to see which person is taking the passport in what name. There is documentary proof, how can we ignore that. I am secular and I have myself had an inter-caste marriage,” he told the media.

Some people criticised the foreign minister for transferring the officer, for what they claimed was a person who was simply doing his duty. They attacked Swaraj and the ministry for taking action against Mishra, claiming that he was just doing his duty.

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj , who was on a four-nation European nations visit at that time, didn’t reply to any of the tweets pertaining to the issue. On Sunday, she liked as many as 70 tweets, all of them abusing her and calling her names. Many tweets branded Ms. Swaraj as “Visa Mata” or “passport mata” and likened her interventions to grant medical visas to Pakistanis as her support to Muslims. Some tweeple demanded that she should be removed from the Cabinet.

Swaraj highlighted the tweets that sought her retirement from politics, on how she was compromising on “national security”, and how she might have done it “to boost her publicity.” Many tweets were misogynistic and hate-driven in nature, with even her health condition not spared. She had recently undergone surgery for a kidney ailment.

The Congress condemned the behaviour of the Twitter users who used foul language against the foreign minister, who is known to reply regularly on the social media platform to people, especially Indians aboard, who need help with matters concerning her ministry. The official handle of the Congress tweeted in her favour. “No matter the situation or reason, nothing calls for threats of violence, disrespect & abuse. @SushmaSwaraj ji, we applaud your decision to call out the heinous trolls of your own party,” the tweet read.[/vc_column_text][vc_raw_html]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[/vc_raw_html][vc_column_text]People like actor Swara Bhaskar and journalists Barkha Dutt and Nidhi Razdan, who have been repeatedly targetted by trolls for their stand, also extended their support to Swaraj. There were also tweets seeking action from Twitter against trolls.

Many others, too tweeted in support of the foreign minister.

“Can you guys stop this nonsense for once and for all. She… did a lot for everyone irrespective of caste or religion. If you have any problem then there is proper way to communicate your message not like ill-mannered nuts,” a Twitter user by the handle @teawithdev said.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

India News

Bokaro Steel Plant CGM arrested after CISF action leaves one dead, political outrage sparks demand for probe

A protest at Bokaro Steel Plant over employment demands turned tragic after a fatal lathi charge. The plant’s CGM was arrested and compensation has been announced.

Published

on

Jharkhand protest

A senior official of Jharkhand’s Bokaro Steel Plant was arrested after a protest demanding employment turned tragic on Thursday, leaving one dead.

The incident occurred when CISF personnel, responsible for plant security, allegedly resorted to a lathi charge to disperse the demonstrators from the ‘BSL Visthapit Apprentice Sangh’.

The deceased, a 26-year-old man, succumbed to injuries sustained during the clash near the administrative building of the plant. The protestors had gathered to press for employment opportunities for displaced individuals.

CGM held accountable, ex-gratia compensation announced

Following the fatal incident, Bokaro Deputy Commissioner Jadhav Vijaya Narayan Rao held the Chief General Manager (CGM) of the plant responsible for the death. The CGM was subsequently arrested, as confirmed by an official statement from the district administration.

In response to the public outrage, Bokaro Steel Plant announced an ex-gratia compensation of Rs 20 lakh for the family of the deceased. Additionally, a promise of employment for one of the family members has also been made.

Clashes during protest turn violent

According to police, the demonstration was organized under the banner of ‘BSL Visthapit Apprentice Sangh’ near the plant’s administrative office. The protest was initially peaceful, demanding employment assurances. However, tensions escalated when the CISF, allegedly trying to disperse the crowd, used batons on the agitators.

A CISF official stated that some personnel were injured after being attacked with stones and sticks by protestors. Four CISF members reportedly sustained injuries during the confrontation.

Political parties demand action and probe

The incident has sparked political outrage across the state. On Friday, members of political outfits like the AJSU Party and JLKM held demonstrations in Bokaro condemning the lathi charge. Jharkhand BJP President Babulal Marandi demanded a detailed inquiry into the matter and urged the state government to take stringent action against the Bokaro administration and BSL management.

Continue Reading

India News

AIIMS theft case cracked: Woman posed as doctor to steal jewellery, arrested in Ghaziabad

A 43-year-old woman from Ghaziabad has been arrested for posing as a doctor and stealing jewellery from AIIMS hostel rooms. CCTV and scooter tracking led to her arrest.

Published

on

AIIMS theft case

Delhi Police have arrested a 43-year-old woman from Ghaziabad who allegedly posed as a doctor to steal jewellery and cash from rooms in the AIIMS women doctors’ hostel. The arrest followed the investigation of a March 27 theft complaint lodged by a woman doctor at the premier hospital.

The complainant reported that several valuables were missing from her room, including two gold chains, a gold ring, a pair of earrings, a bracelet, Rs 4,500 in cash and 522 Malaysian ringgits, approximately Rs 10,000 in value. The police launched a probe and registered an FIR.

Caught on CCTV, tracked by scooter registration

During the investigation, police scanned footage from nearly 100 CCTV cameras around the AIIMS premises. A woman in a doctor’s white coat was spotted moving through hostel corridors, attempting to open multiple room doors while most residents were away at work. Surveillance footage also showed her arriving and leaving the hospital compound on a scooter.

By tracking the scooter’s registration number, police traced the accused to Brij Vihar in Ghaziabad, where she was taken into custody.

Lab technician turned thief

According to police, the woman is a science graduate with a diploma in medical lab technology and previously worked as a lab assistant at a private hospital. During questioning, she admitted to having a deep love for jewellery, which she could never afford. This obsession, she said, eventually led her to theft.

She told investigators that she observed women doctors at AIIMS often left their hostel rooms unlocked, making it easier for her to commit the thefts. To avoid suspicion, she wore a doctor’s coat while entering the premises, blending in seamlessly with hospital staff.

Continue Reading

India News

Suresh Gopi backs Waqf Bill amid land row in Kerala, calls it beneficial for Munambam residents

Union Minister Suresh Gopi supports the Waqf Bill citing benefits for Munambam residents, but lashes out at media over questions related to a recent priest attack in Jabalpur.

Published

on

Suresh Gopi

Union Minister Suresh Gopi strongly defended the Waqf (Amendment) Bill on Friday, asserting that the new legal changes would help people in Munambam, Kerala, who have been disadvantaged due to existing Waqf land claims. Speaking in Kochi, he criticised both the Congress and CPM, remarking, “Some people claimed the Waqf Bill would be thrown into the bin in the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC). Let’s see how it pans out.”

He insisted that the amended law would correct past injustices and benefit local residents who’ve been entangled in ownership disputes involving the Waqf Board.

Heated response on Jabalpur priest attack

Gopi, however, grew visibly agitated when questioned about the recent attack on Malayali priests in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. Reacting sharply, he said, “Go ahead and do a post-mortem of my tongue, but don’t dissect my mind.” He compared the incident to past controversies involving Christian leaders in Pala, Kerala, and questioned the media’s line of inquiry, stating, “Who are you? Whom are you questioning? Be very careful while speaking.”

His remarks came as reporters pressed for a response to the assault on Christian priests and community members in Jabalpur.

George Kurien demands justice for Munambam

Meanwhile, Minister of State for Minority Affairs George Kurien voiced strong support for the residents of Munambam during a Rajya Sabha discussion on the Bill. He demanded that the Waqf Board produce legal documents to justify its claim over land in Munambam and asserted that ownership must be restored to rightful holders.

Kurien emphasized that “any provision of law that contradicts the Indian Constitution must be amended,” and said that the rights of all religious minorities must be protected. He also accused opposition leaders of trying to mislead the Muslim community in Kerala, whom he described as “gentle and pious.”

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com