English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

US Clueless about Las Vegas Attacker’s Intention

Published

on

Las Vegas

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Huge weapon, ammo found from attacker’s residence

The US Law enforcement agencies have not yet found any clue on the intention of Stephen Paddock who opened indiscriminate fire on a crowd of over two thousand people in a music festival in Las Vegas. The attacker killed 59 people and injured over 500 others.

However, Paddock’s abnormal behavior was confirmed after security agents found 42 guns: 23 from his hotel room and 19 from his residence. Paddock had reportedly brought in at least ten suitcases to his hotel room over a period of time.

According to Las Vegas Police Department Assistant Sheriff Todd R. Fasulo, the guns and ammunition police found in the hotel room were high-powered rifles capable of penetrating police armor.

The police official, while addressing a press conference on Monday said, “We believe Paddock is solely responsible for this heinous act.”  The attacker was alive when he made first contact with (police) officers. A team of six officers spoke with security at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino, where the assassin was staying.

The attacker fired at the police officers through the door and shot a security guard. A  Special Weapons & Tactics (SWAT) team broke the hotel room door and found Paddock dead.

Police searched the gunman’s home in Mesquite, Nevada, where they found 19 firearms, explosives and several thousand rounds of ammunition and some electronic devices.

Investigators have also failed to find any link between the attacker and any international terrorist groups. Earlier IS (Daesh) had claimed responsibility for the attack. They suspect that the gunman might have had psychological issues. However, there is no confirmation to that effect so far.

The incident caused horror and disbelief across the country. President Donald Trump offered his warmest condolences through of his twitter post. However, Democrats said that massacre underlined the need of new firearms laws while Republicans offered condolences and prayers only.

Paddock, a 64 year old retired person was indulged in gambling, who lived in a quite community of senior citizens and played golf. He had no criminal history and drew little attention to himself.

Meanwhile, Eric Paddock, brother of the attacker, said on Monday that his family was stunned by the incident. He said, “We are completely dumbfounded. We can’t understand what happened.” He said he had never known his brother to have so many guns. “He might have had a gun or two, but he didn’t have a huge stock of guns,” he said.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Latest world news

India studying implications after US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs

India said it is studying the implications of a US Supreme Court ruling that struck down Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs, even as a new 10% global duty has been announced under an alternate law.

Published

on

Donald Trump

India on Saturday said it is closely examining the implications of a recent ruling by the US Supreme Court that struck down former US President Donald Trump’s sweeping global tariffs.

In its initial response, the Commerce Ministry said it has taken note of both the court’s judgement and subsequent announcements made by the US administration.

“We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday (Friday). US President Donald Trump has also addressed a press conference in this regard,” the ministry said.

“Some steps have been announced by the US administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications,” it added.

What did the US Supreme Court rule?

On Friday, the conservative-majority court ruled 6–3 that a 1977 law relied upon by Trump to impose sudden tariffs on individual countries does not authorise the President to impose such sweeping duties.

The judgement marked a significant setback to Trump’s tariff policy, which had reshaped trade relations with several countries.

Responding to the ruling, Trump criticised members of the court, saying he was “ashamed” of certain justices and describing the verdict as disappointing.

Fresh tariffs under Section 122

Following the court’s decision, Trump announced new tariffs using Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974. The provision allows the US President to impose temporary tariffs of up to 15 per cent for a maximum period of 150 days to address large and serious balance-of-payments deficits.

Under this route, a new 10 per cent global tariff has been imposed on imports into the United States. Trump said the revised order would be effective almost immediately.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, speaking at the Economic Club of Dallas, said the alternative mechanism would result in virtually unchanged tariff revenue in 2026.

Impact on India

Under the revised order, India faces a tariff rate of 10 per cent, reduced from the earlier 18 per cent under Trump’s broader tariff framework.

The new duty is scheduled to take effect from February 24 for a period of 150 days. Exemptions will continue for sectors subject to separate investigations, including pharmaceuticals, as well as goods entering the US under the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement framework.

India has not announced any retaliatory measures and has indicated that it is currently assessing the trade and economic implications of the US decisions.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

PM Modi meets Sri Lankan President Dissanayake at AI summit, reviews connectivity agenda

PM Modi and Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake reviewed connectivity, AI cooperation and regional stability during talks at the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi.

Published

on

PM Modi meet sri lanka president

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held talks with Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake on the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi, reviewing the progress of bilateral initiatives and reaffirming their commitment to deepening connectivity and development cooperation.

President Dissanayake was in India to attend the India-hosted AI Impact Summit. The visit marked his second trip to India since assuming office, following his State Visit in December 2024.

Focus on connectivity and development

According to the Ministry of External Affairs, the two leaders assessed developments stemming from recent high-level engagements, including Prime Minister Modi’s State Visit to Sri Lanka in April 2025. They emphasised fast-tracking cooperation across three key pillars — physical, digital and energy connectivity — which remain central to India-Sri Lanka relations.

Both sides reiterated that improved connectivity would not only enhance economic integration but also contribute to long-term stability and prosperity in the region.

AI collaboration and inclusive growth

Technology-driven development also featured prominently in the discussions. The leaders exchanged views on leveraging artificial intelligence for developmental purposes and improving service delivery.

They agreed that responsible deployment of AI can help advance inclusive growth, particularly in developing countries, and support public service systems.

India’s support during crisis

President Dissanayake expressed appreciation for India’s assistance following Cyclone Ditwah, which caused significant damage in Sri Lanka. India, acting as a First Responder, provided emergency relief supplies and supported search and rescue operations under ‘Operation Sagar Bandhu’.

The leaders also reviewed progress under India’s USD 450 million assistance package aimed at reconstruction and infrastructure restoration in Sri Lanka. The support is intended to aid long-term recovery and strengthen economic resilience.

Cultural ties and regional cooperation

Beyond economic and strategic matters, the meeting underscored the civilisational and cultural bonds between the two countries. The successful conclusion of the Exposition of the Holy Devnimori relics in Sri Lanka was welcomed as a step that further strengthened people-to-people connections.

Both leaders agreed to continue working closely to advance sustainable development, while contributing to peace and stability in the wider Indian Ocean Region.

The meeting highlighted India’s role as both a technology partner and a regional collaborator, as New Delhi and Colombo seek to build a resilient and forward-looking bilateral partnership.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Trump signs 10% global tariffs after US Supreme Court setback

Donald Trump has signed a new 10% global tariff order after the US Supreme Court struck down much of his earlier sweeping import duties

Published

on

donald-trump

US President Donald Trump has signed a fresh executive order imposing a 10 per cent tariff on imports from countries around the world, just hours after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down much of his earlier sweeping import duties.

The new tariffs, which Trump said will take effect “almost immediately”, are being introduced under a law that limits such measures to 150 days. Describing the move as the beginning of an “adjustment process”, the President signalled that his administration would explore alternative routes to maintain revenue from import duties.

Trump criticises top court ruling

The Supreme Court’s 6-3 decision dealt a significant blow to a key part of Trump’s economic strategy. The ruling invalidated large portions of the administration’s previous tariff framework, prompting a sharp response from the President.

In posts on Truth Social, Trump said certain members of the court “should be ashamed of themselves” and termed the judgment “deeply disappointing”. He argued that the tariff mechanism used by his administration had been “acceptable and proper” and insisted that the new order was legally sound.

Trump also claimed that his use of tariffs over the past year had contributed to economic gains, citing milestones in the stock market. He said the Dow had crossed 50,000 and the S&P had reached 7,000, levels he argued were achieved sooner than expected following his election victory.

Tariffs central to Trump’s policy push

Tariffs have remained a central pillar of Trump’s economic and trade agenda. In April, he had announced “reciprocal” taxes of up to 50 per cent on imports from countries with which the United States runs trade deficits, along with a 10 per cent baseline tariff on most other nations.

He invoked a 1977 law to declare the trade deficit a national emergency, justifying broad import taxes. However, after global backlash, the administration paused the higher reciprocal tariffs for 90 days to allow for negotiations.

According to Trump, several countries agreed to revised trade terms during that period, while others faced steeper duties. He also reiterated claims that tariffs strengthened national security and helped curb fentanyl inflows by 30 per cent when used as penalties against certain countries.

“All of those tariffs remain,” Trump said, adding that other measures would now replace those struck down by the court.

The latest order underscores escalating tensions between the White House and the judiciary, as the administration seeks to preserve a cornerstone of its trade policy while navigating legal constraints.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com