English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

US President Joe Biden revokes ban on green card applicants issued by Donald Trump

US President Joe Biden on Wednesday lifted the ban on green card applicants issued by former president Donald Trump during the pandemic that blocked them from entering the United States.

Published

on

Joe Biden

US President Joe Biden on Wednesday lifted the ban on green card applicants issued by former president Donald Trump during the pandemic that blocked them from entering the United States.

Last year, Trump had halted the issuance of green cards until the end of 2020, in order to protect the US workers amid high unemployment due to the coronavirus pandemic. The former president has blocked their entry to the nation in issuing Proclamation 10014 and Proclamation 10052.

Rejecting Trump’s reasoning, Biden in his proclamation stated that shutting the door on legal immigrants does not advance the interests of the United States. To the contrary, it harms the nation, including by preventing certain family members of the United States citizens and lawful permanent residents from reuniting with their families here. It also harms indigenous industries that utilize talent from around the world.

In recent weeks, immigrant lawyers had been pressing Biden to lift the visa ban, which was set to expire on March 31. In turn, the President has pledged to reverse many of Trump’s hardline immigration policies. 

According to the American Immigrant lawyers Association, as many as 120,000 family-based preference visas were lost largely because of the pandemic-related ban in the 2020 budget year. As a result, immigrants could not bring over family members unless they were US citizens applying for visas for their spouses or children under the age of 21.

Also Read: Mamata Banerjee writes to PM Modi, says vaccinate people free of cost before Bengal polls

It also restricted entry to immigrants with employment-based visas unless they were considered beneficial to the national interest such as health care professionals. A California’s federal judge had blocked Trump’s freeze on foreign guest workers in October last year as it affected the several US businesses that fought the policy in court.

California immigration lawyer Curtis Morrison, who represented thousands of people blocked by the ban, said the blocked visas add to a growing backlog that has reached 437,000 for family-based visas alone. Biden will now have to tackle it, the process could potentially take years, he said.

Latest world news

Suicide bombing near Turkey Parliament building in Ankara, 2 cops injured

Turkey’s main opposition leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu has slammed the attack in Ankara and stated that terrorism is a crime against humanity.

Published

on

Suicide bombing near Turkey Parliament building in Ankara, 2 cops injured

Turkey’s interior minister Ali Yerlikaya on Sunday asserted that two terrorists carried out a bomb attack in front of the ministry buildings in Ankara. He added that one of them died in the explosion and the other was “neutralised” by authorities there.

Earlier, Turkish media reported that an explosion was heard near the parliament and ministerial buildings, and broadcasters showed footage of debris scattered on a street near the Interior Ministry. A footage from Reuters showed soldiers, ambulances, fire trucks and an armoured vehicle gathered near the centre of Turkey’s capital, where the police have blocked multiple key roads.

Taking to social media X, formerly Twitter, Ali Yerlikaya, the interior minister, said that two police officers were slightly injured in the incident at 9:30 a.m. He added that two terrorists came with a light commercial vehicle in front of the entrance gate of the General Directorate of Security of their Ministry of Internal Affairs and carried out a bomb attack.

The interior minister further mentioned that one of the terrorists blew himself up and the other was neutralised, which usually means was killed. He noted that their struggle will continue until the last terrorist is neutralised.

Reports said that Ankara’s chief prosecutor initiated an investigation into what it also called a terrorist attack. Authorities did not identify any specific militant group, as yet.

Meanwhile, Turkey’s main opposition leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu has slammed the attack in Ankara and stated that terrorism is a crime against humanity. The leader of the Republican People’s Party mentioned that no matter from whom and where it came from, they will fight it together as a country and will never give treacherous ambitions a chance.

The concerned authorities in Ankara have cautioned the citizens over suspicious packages and bags that are being detonated in a controlled manner. Ankara Security Directorate asked citizens not to panic.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Balochistan blast: Pakistan alleges India’s involvement in suicide attack, toll rises to 60

Sarfaraz Bugti told media that civil, military and all other institution will jointly strike against the elements involved in the Mastung suicide bombing.

Published

on

Balochistan blast: Pakistan alleges India’s involvement in suicide attack, toll rises to 60

Pakistan interior minister Sarfaraz Bugti in a shocking claim alleged India’s Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) intelligence agency for the suicide blast in Balochistan. The blast that took place on Friday claimed the lives of nearly 60 people, leaving 60 others injured. The Indian government, on the other hand, is yet to make an official statement on Sarfaraz Bugti’s allegations. 

The suicide bomb attack targeted a procession which gathered to celebrate Prophet Muhammad’s birthday near the Madina Masjid at a place called Mastung. The blast tore through the mosque in the southern province of Balochistan after the bomber denoted his explosive near a police vehicle where the people gathered for the procession. 

Sarfaraz Bugti told media at Quetta that civil, military and all other institution will jointly strike against the elements involved in the Mastung suicide bombing. Without providing much details or evidence, the Pakistan minister claimed that RAW is involved in the suicide attack.

Wasim Baig, the spokesman for Balochistan’s health department, asserted that seven more people had died in hospital since Friday, which had caused the rise in the death toll. He added that more patients remained in critical condition.

In addition, a second attack on Friday at a mosque in northern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa had killed nearly five people. Police on Saturday lodged a report to initiate an investigation, mentioning that they had sent DNA from the suicide bomb attacker to be analysed.

So far, no group has claimed responsibility for either attack. A surge in terror attacks in Pakistan’s western provinces has cast a shadow on preparations and public campaigning in the run-up to January’s general elections, but until now the attacks had mostly targeted security forces.

The Pakistani Taliban (TTP), which is responsible for some of the bloodiest attacks in Pakistan since the group’s formation in 2007, denied responsibility for Friday’s blasts. On Saturday, a statement from the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) said that an FIR with murder charges and terrorism offences has been registered against an unidentified attacker. 

The caretaker government of Balochistan announced three days of mourning in the wake of the attack.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Former Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan, Mahmood Qureshi held guilty in cipher case

The PTI leaders’ trial has been requested by the FIA, and it is expected that they would be sentenced in accordance with the law.

Published

on

Former Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan

Former Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan and former foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi were found guilty on Saturday by Pakistan’s top investigating agency in the cypher case, a case involving the alleged exposure of state secrets.

The charge sheet against Khan, the Tehreek-e-Insaf party chairman, and Qureshi, who are both presently being held in custody on judicial remand, was submitted by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to a special court set up under the Official Secrets Act, according to the Pakistan Observer website.

Imran Khan, 70, was detained last month following the filing of a complaint against him for allegedly breaking the Official Secrets Act by revealing a covert diplomatic cable (cypher) issued by the nation’s embassy in Washington last year in March.

The PTI leaders’ trial has been requested by the FIA, and it is expected that they would be sentenced in accordance with the law.

The vice chairman of PTI is 75-year-old Shah Mahmood Qureshi. Asad Umar, the former general secretary of the PTI, is not on the FIA’s list of suspects, but former principal secretary Azam Khan has been portrayed as a key witness in the FIA’s case against Imran Khan, according to GeoTV, a well-known news outlet. The challan also contains Azam Khan’s statement recorded under sections 161 and 164.

The speeches by Shah Mahmood Qureshi and Imran Khan from March 27 are also included in the FIA’s attachment.

The Pakistan Observer further noted that the FIA had provided the court with a list of 28 witnesses in addition to the charge sheet. According to the report, the list of witnesses includes names such as current foreign secretary Asad Majid, previous foreign secretary Sohail Mahmood, and additional foreign secretary Faisal Niaz Tirmizi.

Imran Khan had been imprisoned on remand three times earlier on September 26. Along with Qureshi, his judicial remand was initially extended until September 13 and then again until September 26.

The former PM was transferred from Attock prison to the Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi on the same day, one day after the Islamabad High Court instructed authorities to do so.

Continue Reading

Trending

-->

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com