English हिन्दी
Connect with us

Latest world news

Russian ghost returns to hover on Trump administration

Published

on

Russian ghost returns to hover on Trump administration

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]New York Times spoils his maiden foreign trip

By Abu Turab

A recent New York Times story about what transpired during US President Donald Trump’s meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russian ambassador Sergei Kislyak in the Oval Office on May 10 at the White House, may affect Trump’s maiden five-country eight-day foreign trip. It might be a “considered” move, on behalf of NYT, to spoil the US media priorities while Trump meets Muslim leaders in Saudi Arabia, reach out to Israel’s leadership on Middle East crisis, visits the Vatican and attends the NATO summit in Brussels next week.

The New York Times broke the story on May 19, on the basis on an undisclosed document, that President Trump told Russian officials that firing FBI Director James B. Comey had relieved him of “great pressure”.  He told the Russians: “I just fired the head of the FBI. He was crazy, a real nut job.” The document was claimed to be read to the NYT by an American official. Trump was quoted as saying, “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.” He assured Russians saying “I’m not under investigation.” President Trump met the Russian officials on May 10, the day after he fired Comey on May 9.

After the news was broken, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer defended Trump saying it was Comey’s  “grandstanding and politicizing” of the Russian investigation that put pressure on the administration’s ability to engage Moscow. He further said President Trump has always emphasised the importance of making deals with Russia as it relates to Syria, Ukraine, defeating ISIS and other key issues for the benefit and safety of the American people.

A White House spokesman further said, “The investigation would have always continued, and obviously, the termination of Comey would not have ended it. Once again the real story is that our national security has been undermined by the leaking of private and highly classified conversations.”

Lot of contradictions were reported over the White House’s decision to fire FBI chief Comey. Initially, it was argued that he was fired based on the recommendations of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstien. But Trump embarrassed the White House with a tweet saying he “wanted to fire Comey for months”. In an NBC interview last week, Trump was quoted saying that “regardless of the recommendation, I was going to fire Comey”.

However, a person familiar with Comey’s thinking, was quoted by CNN, saying Comey now believes that President Donald Trump was trying to influence his judgement about the Russia probe.

The source admitted that Comey’s relationship with Trump was uncomfortable from the start. One Comey memo reportedly claims that Trump asked FBI director to “let this go” — referring to the FBI investigation into General Michael Flynn’s contacts with the Russians. However, Trump had, on Thursday, angrily denied asking Comey to end the investigation.

Flynn served as National Security Adviser from January 20 to February 13, 2017, the shortest stint. He was forced to resign after information surfaced of him misleading Vice President Mike Pence about the nature and content of his communications with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_raw_html]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[/vc_raw_html][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Finding himself in the centre of cyclone, Trump also raised alarm over the appointment of former FBI director Robert Mueller as special counsel to oversee the federal investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 US presidential elections. Trump said on Thursday that the appointment of a special counsel which “hurts the country”- proves he (Trump) is the subject of the “single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history”.

It was interesting to note that during Trump’s meeting with top Russian officials, the US media was not invited. A photographer associated with Russian state media organisation TASS was in the room for part of the meeting. The high profile interaction was organised after Russian President Vladimir Putin made a personal request to President Trump when he spoke with him earlier this month.

The New York Times had announced on January 17 that it will spend $ 5 million for covering the new President in the White House. Jack Shafer, a Politico media columnist, in one of his articles, said, “Trump is making Journalism great again.” Shafer wrote a few months later, “Donald Trump and his forthcoming presidency maybe the greatest gift to Washington journalism since the invention of the expense account.”

President Trump has more than once changed his stance about Russian involvement in the run-up to presidential elections held in 2016. Recent developments clearly indicate that the Russian ghost will keep President Trump busy for some time.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Latest world news

India studying implications after US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs

India said it is studying the implications of a US Supreme Court ruling that struck down Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs, even as a new 10% global duty has been announced under an alternate law.

Published

on

Donald Trump

India on Saturday said it is closely examining the implications of a recent ruling by the US Supreme Court that struck down former US President Donald Trump’s sweeping global tariffs.

In its initial response, the Commerce Ministry said it has taken note of both the court’s judgement and subsequent announcements made by the US administration.

“We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday (Friday). US President Donald Trump has also addressed a press conference in this regard,” the ministry said.

“Some steps have been announced by the US administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications,” it added.

What did the US Supreme Court rule?

On Friday, the conservative-majority court ruled 6–3 that a 1977 law relied upon by Trump to impose sudden tariffs on individual countries does not authorise the President to impose such sweeping duties.

The judgement marked a significant setback to Trump’s tariff policy, which had reshaped trade relations with several countries.

Responding to the ruling, Trump criticised members of the court, saying he was “ashamed” of certain justices and describing the verdict as disappointing.

Fresh tariffs under Section 122

Following the court’s decision, Trump announced new tariffs using Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974. The provision allows the US President to impose temporary tariffs of up to 15 per cent for a maximum period of 150 days to address large and serious balance-of-payments deficits.

Under this route, a new 10 per cent global tariff has been imposed on imports into the United States. Trump said the revised order would be effective almost immediately.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, speaking at the Economic Club of Dallas, said the alternative mechanism would result in virtually unchanged tariff revenue in 2026.

Impact on India

Under the revised order, India faces a tariff rate of 10 per cent, reduced from the earlier 18 per cent under Trump’s broader tariff framework.

The new duty is scheduled to take effect from February 24 for a period of 150 days. Exemptions will continue for sectors subject to separate investigations, including pharmaceuticals, as well as goods entering the US under the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement framework.

India has not announced any retaliatory measures and has indicated that it is currently assessing the trade and economic implications of the US decisions.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

PM Modi meets Sri Lankan President Dissanayake at AI summit, reviews connectivity agenda

PM Modi and Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake reviewed connectivity, AI cooperation and regional stability during talks at the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi.

Published

on

PM Modi meet sri lanka president

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held talks with Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake on the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit in New Delhi, reviewing the progress of bilateral initiatives and reaffirming their commitment to deepening connectivity and development cooperation.

President Dissanayake was in India to attend the India-hosted AI Impact Summit. The visit marked his second trip to India since assuming office, following his State Visit in December 2024.

Focus on connectivity and development

According to the Ministry of External Affairs, the two leaders assessed developments stemming from recent high-level engagements, including Prime Minister Modi’s State Visit to Sri Lanka in April 2025. They emphasised fast-tracking cooperation across three key pillars — physical, digital and energy connectivity — which remain central to India-Sri Lanka relations.

Both sides reiterated that improved connectivity would not only enhance economic integration but also contribute to long-term stability and prosperity in the region.

AI collaboration and inclusive growth

Technology-driven development also featured prominently in the discussions. The leaders exchanged views on leveraging artificial intelligence for developmental purposes and improving service delivery.

They agreed that responsible deployment of AI can help advance inclusive growth, particularly in developing countries, and support public service systems.

India’s support during crisis

President Dissanayake expressed appreciation for India’s assistance following Cyclone Ditwah, which caused significant damage in Sri Lanka. India, acting as a First Responder, provided emergency relief supplies and supported search and rescue operations under ‘Operation Sagar Bandhu’.

The leaders also reviewed progress under India’s USD 450 million assistance package aimed at reconstruction and infrastructure restoration in Sri Lanka. The support is intended to aid long-term recovery and strengthen economic resilience.

Cultural ties and regional cooperation

Beyond economic and strategic matters, the meeting underscored the civilisational and cultural bonds between the two countries. The successful conclusion of the Exposition of the Holy Devnimori relics in Sri Lanka was welcomed as a step that further strengthened people-to-people connections.

Both leaders agreed to continue working closely to advance sustainable development, while contributing to peace and stability in the wider Indian Ocean Region.

The meeting highlighted India’s role as both a technology partner and a regional collaborator, as New Delhi and Colombo seek to build a resilient and forward-looking bilateral partnership.

Continue Reading

Latest world news

Trump signs 10% global tariffs after US Supreme Court setback

Donald Trump has signed a new 10% global tariff order after the US Supreme Court struck down much of his earlier sweeping import duties

Published

on

donald-trump

US President Donald Trump has signed a fresh executive order imposing a 10 per cent tariff on imports from countries around the world, just hours after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down much of his earlier sweeping import duties.

The new tariffs, which Trump said will take effect “almost immediately”, are being introduced under a law that limits such measures to 150 days. Describing the move as the beginning of an “adjustment process”, the President signalled that his administration would explore alternative routes to maintain revenue from import duties.

Trump criticises top court ruling

The Supreme Court’s 6-3 decision dealt a significant blow to a key part of Trump’s economic strategy. The ruling invalidated large portions of the administration’s previous tariff framework, prompting a sharp response from the President.

In posts on Truth Social, Trump said certain members of the court “should be ashamed of themselves” and termed the judgment “deeply disappointing”. He argued that the tariff mechanism used by his administration had been “acceptable and proper” and insisted that the new order was legally sound.

Trump also claimed that his use of tariffs over the past year had contributed to economic gains, citing milestones in the stock market. He said the Dow had crossed 50,000 and the S&P had reached 7,000, levels he argued were achieved sooner than expected following his election victory.

Tariffs central to Trump’s policy push

Tariffs have remained a central pillar of Trump’s economic and trade agenda. In April, he had announced “reciprocal” taxes of up to 50 per cent on imports from countries with which the United States runs trade deficits, along with a 10 per cent baseline tariff on most other nations.

He invoked a 1977 law to declare the trade deficit a national emergency, justifying broad import taxes. However, after global backlash, the administration paused the higher reciprocal tariffs for 90 days to allow for negotiations.

According to Trump, several countries agreed to revised trade terms during that period, while others faced steeper duties. He also reiterated claims that tariffs strengthened national security and helped curb fentanyl inflows by 30 per cent when used as penalties against certain countries.

“All of those tariffs remain,” Trump said, adding that other measures would now replace those struck down by the court.

The latest order underscores escalating tensions between the White House and the judiciary, as the administration seeks to preserve a cornerstone of its trade policy while navigating legal constraints.

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2022 APNLIVE.com